The University Information Technology Services (UITS) department of the University of Massachusetts
(UMass) Systems Office (UMSO) is seeking an experienced, energetic, engaging and visionary leader who wants to become part of an exciting,
vibrant community of information technology professionals supporting the institution’s mission.
Information technology plays a vital
and ever-expanding role in the institutional mission. The Institution’s information technology environment is highly distributed and
diverse, with leadership and coordination from the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and direct report units. We are seeking a strong,
knowledgeable leader to provide vision, strategy, customer focus, broad-based planning, and hands-on responsibility as an Associate CIO
within the UMass Systems Office.
The Associate CIO reports to the CIO, is a member of the UITS Executive Management Team (EMT) and
serves a key role in university leadership, working closely with UITS, the President’s Office leadership across the University System,
senior stakeholders and academic leaders.
In this role the incumbent has overall accountability for:
Operational Execution and Client Support across the entire UITS project and services portfolio and ensuring alignment with the needs of the
- Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) through leading development and design of solutions to achieve
consistent and measurable service delivery, improve the customer and employee experience, and positively affect continuous improvement.
- Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) providing guidance and budget management to the Project Management Office (PMO) planning,
executing and monitoring successful projects throughout the project lifecycle.
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Best-in-Class Operational Execution
- Manages the
portfolio of services and oversees operational management activities.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to identify
service improvement and innovation opportunities and oversees the creation of service roadmaps.
- Works with stakeholders to
continually optimize IT governance and decision-making processes as the business context and technology landscape changes.
and oversees the management of the IT budget process, costs, and resources for the IT organization.
- Works closely with the other
members of the senior management team to align the services priorities with the business, technology, people and funding strategies of
- Provides day to day direction to UITS services teams.
- Oversees sourcing decisions and scalable vendor management
processes and partners with the UMass Chief Procurement Officer (CPO) to lead IT procurement strategy.
Technology Service Management (ITSM)
- Provides strategic leadership to optimize, socialize and maintain ITSM best practices and
to enable and leverage automation and industry standards across UITS.
- Develops knowledge-based solutions on our data to improve
transparency, stability and create backlog/knowledge.
- Provides product ownership for the IT Service Cloud application.
- Oversees assessment and redesign of ITSM communication and escalation procedures.
- Keeps abreast of emerging service and
operational trends and collaborates with other business leaders capitalizing on opportunities in business strategy.
visibility of IT service delivery through operational reviews of changes, cases, and problems.
- Ensures UITS evolves with changing
industry trends, tools and technologies that deliver solutions with effective and inclusive outcomes.
- Project and
Portfolio Management (PPM)
- Ensures the portfolio of programs and projects are in alignment with the University System and UITS
strategic goals and implemented with best practice approaches for achieving desired outcomes.
- Oversees and continually builds a
strategic cross-disciplinary workforce to implement and maximize the current and future PPM effectiveness in light of changing business
- Manages significant forecasting, budget and resource planning responsibilities.
- Addresses information security
and compliance priorities across the UMSO enterprise project portfolio.
- Provides product ownership and management of the UMass
Projects Enterprise Application product used by UITS, Accounting & Finance, and Audit departments.
- Contributes to UITS and
University System goals for talent development, diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Leads the implementation of industry standards and
development methodologies, including Agile, Kanban and Waterfall to increase responsiveness and growth.
- Promotes UITS’s most valued
behaviors across all levels of the organization.
- Other duties include
special projects as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education,
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 10 years of IT leadership experience
including experience working with executive and board-level personnel.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency in word processing,
presentation software (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Dropbox and Zoom).
- Experienced in formulating, allocating and managing significant
- Strong operational service management knowledge and skills, and understanding of IT processes and end to end
IT infrastructure components and architecture.
- Core experience in organizational development, service delivery, portfolio, and
- Must have a great sense of passion and urgency to achieve results and drive organizational and cultural
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Prior higher education or public service experience a significant plus.
- Ability to develop strategic initiatives
and oversee the development of long-term plans and proposals to support business objectives
- Demonstrated ability to consistently
achieve both short-term results and long-term objectives.
- Experience developing strong productive partnerships and client
relationships both informally and through formal IT Governance processes.
- Experienced in organization transformation and maturing
- Excellent communication, mentorship and organizational development skills.
- Extraordinary leadership
skills in a complex environment. A significant part of this job is to work with partners (IT and non-IT) within the President’s Office at
the campuses to build strong partnerships and discover the most important needs in a very distributed eco-system.
- Must be able to travel occasionally to all UMass campuses and the Boston Central
- Typical office environment.
- May require occasional hours on nights and weekends.
Salary will be commensurate with experience up to $185,000.