Harvard University Information Technology
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to understanding our users and devoted to making it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines – and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment we are looking for you!
The Associate Director of IT is responsible for the day-to-day management of a team of technical staff responsible for supporting operations and IT projects. The role requires strong people skills to both manage the team, and establish a strong relationship with partners in HUIT, business units, and 3rd parties. The Associate Director of IT reports to one of the Portfolio Owners on the Campus Systems team, in the Administrative Technology Services (ATS) division of HUIT.
The specific responsibilities for the Associate Director of IT can be divided into the following key areas:
Services and Project Delivery
- Ensures IT services meet service level expectations, with minimal interruptions or negative impact to the business unit(s) operations.
- Work with 3rd parties, business partners, and HUIT colleagues to ensure the team is clear on the work that needs to be performed, and priorities.
- Ensures off-hours, 24×7 support needs are met.
- Ensure the adoption and use of HUIT standard tools and practices to support IT operations (e.g. ITSM, ServiceNow)
- Engages with business unit(s) partners and user community to understand if and how well their needs are met.
- Ensures staff supports IT projects as needed.
Management, Leadership & Innovation
- Ensures performance is actively managed across the team on both ends of the performance spectrum: support growth and development of good performers, ensure performance issues are communicated, actively addressed and corrected in a timely matter.
- Foster a positive and engaging work environment that enables a culture of continuous innovation with a focus on solving business problems through IT solutions.
Typical Core Duties
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
- Participate fully in software development life cycle
- Lead development of technical solutions to deliver business requirements
- Participate in long term strategic planning for the application portfolio(s)
- Establish and maintain internal/external stakeholder relationships
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of seven years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
- Supervisory experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to navigate issue resolution across a broad set of technologies: infrastructure, applications, networked devices, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, develop and mentor teams
- Demonstrated ability to build/foster a broad range of business relationships.
- Must be passionate about delivering great service.
- Strong organizational skills, communication skills (written, oral and presentation) with a concern for accuracy, details and quality.
- Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical clients and business partners
- Strong Analytical and Problem Solving skills required.
- Strong technical skills across the technologies involved in supporting the business units.
- Ability to think strategically while working through tactical short-term priorities.
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
Interview and onboarding activity for this position may be conducted via telephone & Zoom video conferencing, based on the department’s current presence on campus.
If you accept our offer and join the team, your position will be based on our campus in Cambridge, MA. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you will begin your work remotely. The remote nature of this job is only temporary, and all remote work must be performed within the United States. We currently expect that you will work remotely until Fall, 2021. Once the University and your supervisor determine that it is appropriate, you will be required to move your work location to the Cambridge campus or a state in which Harvard is registered as an employer as a condition of continued employment.
Harvard University Information Technology is currently developing hybrid workplace models which actively support remote work (within a Harvard registered state) where business and team needs allow. Any remote scheduling of your work, agreed to by your supervisor, will need to be in a state in which Harvard is registered as an employer as a condition of continued employment. Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will may discussed during the interview process.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s COVID-19 Vaccine Information webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Harvard continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff and students, as well as the wider community. Information and details can be found via Harvard’s Coronavirus Workplace Policies website: https://hr.harvard.edu/corona-virus-workplace-policies.
Please provide a cover letter with your application and upload as one document.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- We are unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University. Our mission is to assure Harvard’s leadership in IT. We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn and work through the effective use of information technology.
HUIT’s core values are:
IT Academy (designed for IT Staff):
HUIT’s IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team. The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here: https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging:
Harvard’s commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others and embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. Harvard aims to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that we each experience a sense of inclusion and belonging.
Harvard’s Total Rewards Program is designed to attract, retain, and reward the performance of talented employees. As a Harvard staff member, you enjoy many perks that come with working for one of the top employers in Massachusetts, including:
Flexible work environment: HUIT supports flexible work arrangements where business needs allow.
Time off: 3 – 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Harvard University Employees Credit Union: Our employees credit union provides a complete line of services for all your financial needs. https://huecu.org
Transportation: 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: A variety of programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Learn more: https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards
Harvard University IT plays an important role in supporting Harvard’s commitment by seeking to create, procure and deploy technologies that are accessible to all, including and especially those who live with disability. Harvard welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to request accommodations or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact our University Disability Resources Department.
USA – MA – Cambridge
I0759M Applications Mgt V
Administrative Technology Services
00 – Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.