Data Scientist for Biodiversity Analysis
We are looking for experienced data scientists with a passion for nature.
The field of biodiversity measurement and monitoring is currently painstakingly manual and relies heavily on human experts on the ground to assess the state of the nature. We are pioneering methods of collecting biodiversity data on the ground, at scale, using imaging, acoustics, and machine learning.
We completed data collection of our first pilot in April 2022, we will be conducting our second pilot in May, and we have a rapidly increasing list of sites we have been invited to monitor and would love to visit. We are looking for data scientists to join our team to help analyse the increasing amounts of optical and acoustic data we collect.
About the role
This role can be full-time or part-time. Either is possible and we can be flexible.
We will be deploying imaging-equipped drones, bioacoustics, and other sensors to collect data on pilot sites. Our pilot sites are degraded forests, agroforestry systems, or areas set aside for rewilding. The data we collect is analysed with the help of machine learning, and the guidance of ecologists specialising in the habitat being analysed.
Your role will include helping develop our data analysis pipelines for our pilot sites, testing methods of analysis and visualisation, and translating data into indices and indicators of biodiversity.
You will love this job if you are passionate about data and about finding real, scalable solutions to the nature and climate crises.
Our team is multidisciplinary, integrating the knowledge of ecologists, mathematicians, and data scientists. Sufficient experience and maturity to work with some autonomy is essential.
What you get
- An attractive compensation and benefits package.
- A culture based on fairness, trust, collaboration, individual wellbeing and recognition.
- Colleagues who care about nature and are about the real world impact of their work.
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- A PhD in a relevant field
- Extensive experience in handling, analysing and modelling image data
- Extensive experience handling large data sets
- Experience with computer vision systems
- Coding skills for data analysis (e.g., Python, R, Matlab)
- Ability to communicate complex concepts and solutions
- Strong data visualisation skills
- Strong, creative problem-solving skills
- Minimum 2/3 years of work experience
- Experience in geospatial analysis of large data sets is a plus
About the Company
Pivotal is a VC-backed start up focussed on biodiversity, based in Cambridge, UK but operating as a remote-first company. We are helping to build an economy that puts nature and business in balance – by incentivising the regeneration of biodiversity at scale. Restoring nature is important and our work will be carried out with integrity, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability.
Please visit www.pivotal.earth to find out more.
If you would like more information prior to applying please email email@example.com.