Washington DC, DC, US, 20016
The Desktop Support Team Lead position is responsible for overseeing and coordinating the daily work of the Technology Support Desk staff in the University Library. Provides advanced troubleshooting to members of the AU community regarding information technology issues relating to AU-supported hardware, software, networking, and telecommunications via in person support. The Technology Support Desk is often used as the escalation point for assistance with complex and time-consuming problems. Collaborates with OIT staff to establish new and innovative means of supporting the computing needs of the AU community. Serves as a back-up to the Director of Customer Support Services who is not always on-site at the Technology Support Desk. This position requires self-direction, initiative, and minimal supervision.
- Works directly with customers at our on-site Technology Support Desk to analyze and resolve issues pertaining to AU-supported hardware, software, and network connectivity reported by AU faculty, staff, students, or guests. Resets passwords and provides application support for the University-supported desktop applications and the Internet, and troubleshoots PC and Mac computer configurations. Anticipates customer needs and offers additional assistance as needed. Tracks all reported service requests through the enterprise customer relationship management system (ServiceNow) to ensure a quick and consistent response to users. Updates the work history of all service requests daily to record current status and transfer relevant information for troubleshooting. Provides express support to all Faculty members at the Technology Support Desk.
- Coordinates staff and student intern schedules for lunch breaks or coverage of an absent employee. Provides guidance to Technology Support Desk staff on challenging support issues. Responsible for managing escalations for critical issues/problems or, dissatisfied customers. Monitors the Technology Support Desk queue to ensure timely handling of customer support requests. Ensures OIT policies and procedures are documented, maintained and adhered to by the Technology Support Desk staff. Serves as the back-up to the Director of Customer Support Services.
- Collaborates with OIT staff to establish new and innovative means of supporting the computing needs of the AU community. This includes developing and testing new tools to simplify both our customers’ and our own computing support environments, writing documentation and knowledgebase articles in order to facilitatecommunication between OIT and the user community, and completing other customer service projects
- Monitors the support requests for the Technology Support Desk to identify patterns of reported problems. Researches and confirms the existence of systematic problems. Notifies the appropriate Director or system administrator and follows up with them to ensure that quality customer service is delivered in that the problem is dealt with in a timely manner.
- Maintains technical currency through self-study and research of new developments in the field, and participation in OIT internal training or vendor-offered training opportunities, when available.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst B
- The Desktop Support Team Lead may need to fill in for other team members, if absent and other staff members are not able to provide coverage.
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University’s unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively “Protected Bases”) in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC