- CURRENT PENN STATE STUDENT (not employed previously at the university) and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process. Please do not apply here, apply internally through Workday.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
We are seeking a Department Head for the Digital Engineering Department to join our Modeling & Simulation, Innovation, and Training & Education (MSITE) Division at the Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State University. You will lead a dynamic team of engineers in a rapidly growing area encompassing varied research and technology disciplines related cyber domains. CID supports numerous research areas and programs in cybersecurity that provide a unique opportunity to direct and collaborate on research projects, supervise engineers and team leaders, lead strategic initiatives, and maintain relationships with external collaborators. This position can be filled as a Research and Development Engineer or a non-tenure Research Faculty.
The ideal candidate will possess broad technical knowledge of all aspects of department tasking as well as operational/technical skills in one or more specific components including Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Continuous Deployment, Continuous Security, and Data Engineering.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and execute a Department strategic plan harnessing and enabling ARL’s Digital Engineering resources
- Develop and manage partnerships and relationships with sponsors and collaborators in government, academia, and industry
- Building a partnership with ARL’s Enterprise Cyber organization
- Coordinate across Offices for lab wide fulfillment of unique mission sets and agile sponsor requirements
- Present Department and program overviews, proposals, and technical briefings at internal and external events
- Prepare and review proposals, technical reports, status reports, and other programmatic and administrative documents
- Coordinate with sponsors and supervised organizational logistics and team management to identify risks, issues, requirements, and design solutions for project-level activity on a day to day basis
- Lead a technically strong, dynamic, and entrepreneurial group of personnel
- Create and manage a world-class and diverse engineering workforce
Faculty rank will be commensurate with education, and experience. Minimally requires a Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering or Science discipline plus five years’ related experience. A Masters’ or Doctorate degree is preferred.
The following experience is required:
- Experienced leadership in personnel and financial management
- Experience securing infrastructure and applications in the DoD/IC Community
- Experience with containerized environments
- Experience implementing security monitoring, logging, and alerting throughout a system
- Experience administering Linux-based systems.
- Adept understanding of cloud-computing; virtualization technologies, IaaS, PaaS, SaaS delivery models
The following experience is preferred:
- Security-related certifications (CISSP, CSSLP, CCSP, Security+, etc)
- Direct experience with upgrades, migrations, and integration of developmental and tactical platform environments and CI/CD pipelines
- Experience participating in security-related roles within the software development lifecycle
- Experience working with Atlassian products (JIRA, Bitbucket, Confluence)
- Experience ensuring reliable data collection; monitoring and auditing integrity of data throughout its lifecycle
- Experience employing algorithms to model and estimate data to handle missing/corrupt values; time series modeling and prediction
- Experience with data technologies and data engineering – distributed systems, MQTT, ETL with databases with large-scale, complex datasets; data structures and organization for fast, high throughput processing
ARL at Penn State is an integral part of one of the leading research universities in the nation and serves as a University center of excellence in defense science, systems, and technologies with a focus in naval missions and related areas.
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and will be required to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI clearance. Applicants with an active TS/SCI will be given preference.
You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply. Employment with the ARL will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen.
ARL is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; we believe this is central to our success as a Department of Defense designated University Affiliated Research Center (UARC). We are at our best when we draw on the talents of all parts of society, and our greatest accomplishments are achieved when diverse perspectives are part of our workforce.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION on ARL, visit our web site at www.arl.psu.edu.