Job no: 256153-LI
Work type: Onsite, Partial Remote, Remote, Staff-Full Time
Department:DOIT/AT/CENTER FOR UX
Categories: IT Multifunctional Services
Academic Technology, a department within the Division of Information Technology (DoIT) at UW-Madison, advances the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s mission and strategic priorities as well as the Wisconsin Idea by wisely applying technology to current and future academic environments. Academic Technology services include Learn@UW Madison, the Center for User Experience, the Learning Analytics Center of Excellence, the precollege IT Academy, as well as software development, training and project management teams. DoIT is a large and complex organization providing information technology services to UW-Madison, UW System and other agencies, employing approximately 800 people and operating with a budget of $105 million.
The Director for the Center for User Experience advances the role of inclusive design in meeting the needs of students, faculty, and staff. The Director will provide leadership, central oversight, expert guidance, advocacy, risk management, and support to the University to improve the accessibility and usability of existing and emerging digital experiences and technologies. The Director will lead a team of seven employees.
Develops and directs the implementation of strategic plans for enterprise information technology (IT) function(s), program(s), or service(s) to ensure resources are utilized to provide effective administrative, research, outreach, and/or instructional information technology services. May directly manage IT services.
- 20% Directs strategic information technology planning initiatives and establishes objectives for the institution to ensure appropriate use of financial, administrative, staffing resources in alignment with the strategic plan
- 10% Develops operating policies and procedures to comply with regulations, institutional policies, and unit objectives
- 20% Exercises supervisory authority, including hiring, transferring, suspending, promoting, managing conduct and performance, discharging, assigning, rewarding, disciplining, and/or approving hours worked of at least 2.0 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- 5% May develop and audit institutional budgets and/or financials
- 10% Serves as a liaison representing the interests of the institution to internal and external stakeholders
- 10% Advises institutional or divisional leadership on information technology operations and business models
- 5% May perform manager functions
- 5% Engage as a member of the departmental leadership team and participate in strategy development and implementation
- 15% Co-lead institutional strategy and initiatives around user experience and digital accessibility, engage with office compliance and other institutional leadership supporting accessibility policy and practices
Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background – people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
Required Qualifications include:
* Experience leading or managing a group of professional staff, including successful implementation of long- and short-term planning efforts, leading a recruitment, addressing personnel issues, and promoting staff professional development.
* Experience in leadership in digital accessibility and/or user experience design arenas including management of multiple projects/initiatives with multiple stakeholders and diverse end-users.
* Demonstrate a strong understanding of digital accessibility as it pertains to the federal, state, and campus regulations and guidelines, and across the design, development, and procurement life cycle.
* Experience developing and managing strategic plans.
* Demonstrated experience with interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills with the ability to work across a large organization, lead cross-functional teams, and influence without direct authority.
In addition to the required qualifications, the most qualified candidates will also possess the following preferred qualifications:
* An advanced degree (such as but not limited to User Experience, Human Computer Interaction, Library/Information Systems, or Computer Science).
* Experience in higher education and digital products and services.
UW-Madison continues to follow necessary health and safety protocols to protect our campus from COVID-19. All employees remain subject to the COVID-19 Workplace Safety Policy: https://policy.wisc.edu/library/UW-5086. Please visit https://covidresponse.wisc.edu for the most up-to-date information.
Full Time: 100%
This position is eligible for any of the following: 100% remote work; partial remote work; or fully on-site. Remote work requires an approved remote work agreement (RWA) agreement. An RWA requires successful candidates to possess their own high-speed internet and phone to perform the work on a university provided computer.
Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $112,200 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Employees in this position can expect to receive benefits such as generous vacation, holidays, and paid time off; competitive insurances and savings accounts; retirement benefits.
Please note that successful applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without need of employer sponsorship, on or before the effective date of appointment.
How to Apply:
Click on the “Apply Online” button to start the application process.
You will be prompted to upload the following documents:
Cover letter (REQUIRED)
Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Required Qualifications for this position (listed above in the Qualifications section). For each Required Qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
IT Director I (Inst)(IT077)
A060504-INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY/AT/CENTER FOR UX
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability, you can find information about how to make a request at the following website: https://employeedisabilities.wisc.edu/disability-accommodation-information-for-applicants/
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Applications Open: Central Daylight Time
Applications Close: Central Daylight Time
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.