Campus Location: Concord, Durham, Keene, Manchester, Plymouth
Summary of Position
Enterprise Technology & Services organization within the University System of New Hampshire is continuing our journey to modernize our IT
infrastructure, both on premise and in the cloud.
Enterprise Technology & Services is a transformational organization meeting the
technology needs of the 24,000 students and 7000 employees of Granite State College, Keene State College, Plymouth State University, and the
University of New Hampshire. This organization offers the ability to work alongside a group of 300 technology colleagues committed to
serving the educational needs of New Hampshire through an advanced technology environment.
The Director for Enterprise Infrastructure
Services will plan and coordinate efforts to:
- Build integrated communication and collaboration, database, storage, server
infrastructure, and system administration services, ensuring efficient and consistent operations.
- Lead a strong team to meet
today’s infrastructure and service needs for enterprise IT services will also developing and executing on a strategy for increasing use of
automation and cloud services.
- Meet or exceed the established customer service standards.
- Collaborate with other
leaders within ET&S as well as key business leaders to understand, gather, and disseminate information about technology needs and changes in
operations that impact customers and deliver improved services.
The ideal candidate for this role must bring a passion for
technology and leadership. This position must stay current with overall trends and advancements in technologies to support strategic
decision making and to help maximize technology investments by USNH. Candidates must be used to managing multiple priorities and working in
an environment focused on continuous improvement.
Position can be based at any of the USNH institutions: Granite State College, Keene
State College, Plymouth State University or the University of New Hampshire and will lead staff across multiple locations. Travel to all
institutions is required.
Posting Number: PS2396FY20
Other minimum qualifications
Bachelor’s degree and eight years of experience in information technology field, or combination of education and experience equal to
- Seven years of proven leadership and supervisory experience.
- Ability to adapt and promote organizational
core beliefs and values
- Passion for IT and eagerness to stay current with changing technology practices
- Ability to
develop and utilize metrics and data to improve service quality and team performance
- Exceptional level of personal initiative, a
concern for achievement, results orientated and ability to create and sustain a positive working environment.
- Highly motivated
self-starter with demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a team
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and projects required,
along with strong organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
Proven facilitation and project management skills
- Must have a current driver’s license, a willingness to use a personal vehicle
for travel, and be willing to travel 20% of the time on a monthly basis to operating locations across New Hampshire.
- Ability to
effectively manage and protect sensitive employee information, and sensitive pre-decisional management and organizational information.
Salary is complemented by a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical,
dental, retirement, tuition, and paid time off.
The University of New Hampshire is an
R1 Carnegie classification research institution providing comprehensive, high-quality undergraduate and graduate programs of distinction.
UNH is located in Durham on a 188-acre campus, 60 miles north of Boston and 8 miles from the Atlantic coast, and is convenient to New
Hampshire’s lakes and mountains. There is a student enrollment of 13,000 students, with a full-time faculty of over 600, offering 90
undergraduate and more than 70 graduate programs. The University actively promotes a dynamic learning environment in which qualified
individuals of differing perspectives, life experiences, and cultural backgrounds pursue academic goals with mutual respect and shared
The UNH Diversity Resource Guide with information and programming available in the seacoast area, New Hampshire and the
region can be found here: https://www.unh.edu/hr/diversity-resource-guide
Lead architectural vision of the USNH communications and collaboration software, storage, database, and systems infrastructure to support
current needs and to transform the service delivery through automation, DevOps practices, and increasing use of cloud-based services.
- Stays abreast of the changing hardware, virtualization, operating systems, cloud platform, and application technologies along with
having knowledge of networking systems, security technologies and dev/ops technologies
- Participates in strategic planning that
includes new technologies, new service offerings to meet emerging needs for the IT department.
- Participates in planning with all
of IT to ensure integration with networking, security policies and practices, desktop practices, and supporting applications
Strategic leadership and oversight of support for USNH communications and collaboration software, storage, database, and systems
- Provides leadership, direction, and vision to ensure the university has the communications and
collaboration software, storage, database, and systems technology to support the overall mission(s) of the University System of New
- Must be a knowledgeable, experienced leader that has knowledge of hardware, software, database, networking,
directory, virtualization, cloud platform, and security technologies and can identify integration issues or challenges.
and recommend technologies that best help USNH achieve its strategic goals while balancing available technical and financial resources.
- Identify opportunities for cost savings, efficiencies and process improvements.
- Identify opportunities for improving
security stance, application/database deployment times, and customer ease of use.
- Consummate leader with positive presence that
guides an organization with a culture of unwavering dedication to the customer base, a passion for excellence, and a constant drive to
improve service delivery.
- Empowered and accountable for building an enterprise systems engineering and operations service line
with multiple operating locations across New Hampshire, and then ensuring efficient and consistent operations for the University System of
- Empowered and accountable to meet or exceed the established customer service standards.
- Creates and
maintains an established set of best-practice business processes, operational standards and procedures, and qualitative and quantitative
metrics to ensure effective support to students, faculty, staff and researchers.
- Effectively collaborates with other technology
and business leaders to understand, gather, and disseminate information regarding changes in technologies that that may impact our
- Directly interfaces with customer base to identify areas for improvement
- Exceptional team player.
Communicates effectively throughout the organization. Establishes and maintains strong and positive working relationships with peer
departments and vendors to ensure that the help desk teams meet service-level agreements
- Assists with strategic communications
as necessary to develop messaging regarding the status of desktop management services and product updates that affect the USNH customer
- Develops and implements annual goals and strategies for area of responsibility, addresses resourcing needs and regularly
assesses and reports on risk in the absence of resources.
- Knows what right and wrong looks like. Recognizes discrepancies
between what is happening and what should be happening and take corrective actions
- Operates with humility and reflection.
Modifies existing procedures to respond to new situations or better ideas
- Sets direction, establishes goals, and aligns priorities for all operating locations to meet established service
standards and metrics.
- Empowered and responsible to hire, train and terminate employees, structure and assign employee work,
provides direction to staff, conducts performance reviews, handles disciplinary actions, makes salary decisions, and provides functional
supervision and training.
- Provides guidance, support, and coaching to service line supervisors and staff
the staff to meet the department’s-established service levels and project goals.
- Accountable for the development and continuous
improvement of training programs, knowledge base articles, and decision trees
- Accountable for developing and executing the
budget, monitor and manage expenditures with a constant eye toward efficiencies and savings
- Ensures employees are adhering to
all institutional policies and takes appropriate action verbal and written to improve employee compliance
- Coaches direct reports
and actively manages performance
- Manages multiple functions, projects and support staff across numerous locations including all
aspects of the performance and project management processes; writing and conducting performance evaluations; training & development; work
assignments; tracking deliverable progress and results; ticket queue monitoring; management reporting; vendor management and maintaining
adequate staffing levels.
- Forecasting, including short and long-term planning; maintenance contracts, inventory, orders and
expenditures as related to the support of the environment. Provides input for planning and executes against resource plan and budgets.
- Champion the stability, performance, and security of the digital workplace environment and supported application areas.
Proactively manages vendor relationships and contracts
Collaborate with other IT service lines, Orchestrators, and functional teams for cross team projects as requested or needed to ensure
organizational goals are achieved
- Actively support organizational goals and objectives
- Negotiate compromises with
others to meet competing demands
- Professionally confront problems with others quickly and directly
assist others to help build successes
- Actively participate in IT management team to conceive, initiate, develop, plan, and
implement strategic goals, to aid in continuous improvement activities, and to communicate current work status
- Build and
maintain a positive, collaborative relationships to ensure the smooth operation of Database and Middleware services and that key business
drivers are addressed.
- Keep abreast of new technology as it relates to the daily operation and support responsibilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to understand the business and technical needs of the end user as well as foster customer
relationship building and deliver outstanding customer service.
- Partnering with groups such as networking, security, IAM,
development teams and desktop support to foster a reduction in legacy products and versions to enable better focused hardware choices
- Responsible to respond timely to communications and requests related to middleware IT issues
- Strong verbal and written
communication skills; ability to communicate technical information to non-technical customers; ability to work effectively with customers;
ability to create and present executive-level content.
The University System of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. The University System is committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our campus communities and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. The University System prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.