Harvard University Information Technology
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to delivering service and technological solutions in support of teaching, learning, research and administration. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines – and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused, and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment, we are looking for you!
Reporting to the Managing Director for Strategy and End User Services of Harvard University Information Technology (“HUIT”), the Director, IT Service Management will provide strategic leadership and oversight of IT Service Management disciplines, practices and tools adopted across the IT organization and University. The Director will manage both a team of service managers and a team that supports service management tools and platforms. The Director is part of an extended leadership team focused on Strategy and End User Services and is a key participant in HUIT’s Service Delivery Leadership Group.
The Director will lead the development, improvement and operation of common service management practices across HUIT in the delivery of IT services to all customer groups (faculty, staff and students). The Director will promote the improvement and expansion of ITIL-based service management across the organization, with a particular focus on developing service ownership practices, including an emphasis on service taxonomy and the service catalog, service level management and portfolios, and service-based metrics. The Director will develop and evolve a strategy for Service Management tools and platforms to support service owners across the organization, in collaborating with stakeholders. As a manager, the Director is responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment.
- Lead the design, implementation, and improvement of service ownership and a service taxonomy, service level management, the service catalog and service portfolio management
- Oversee ITIL service operations and transitions activities, including incident management, problem management, request management, knowledge management, change management, and configuration management
- Help articulate and execute a strategy for service management-related communications
- Enable continual service improvement through the effective use of metrics in support of key performance indicators and critical success factor used to manage service delivery
- IT Service Management Tools and Reporting, including the analysis, implementation, and system administration of enterprise ITSM tools; understanding and effective use of key performance indicators for managing service delivery; and the design and provisioning of self-service, ad-hoc, and standardized reports for management support, and operational and strategic planning
- Act as a guide and mentor for HUIT technology staff in the understanding and application of ITSM processes
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
Basic Qualifications are the minimum threshold a candidate must meet in order to be considered for this role.
- Minimum of seven years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience to include progressively responsible role and management
- Supervisory experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- Experience driving organizational change through facilitation and consensus-building
- Experience implementing cross-functional process improvements with aptitude for business or process design
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation communication skills
- Proven ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with people at all organizational levels
- Demonstrated success in staff management, hiring, mentoring, coaching, performance management, professional development and workflow design
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
- ITIL v3 or v4 Foundations certification desired; ITIL intermediate (or higher) certifications strongly preferred
Interview and onboarding activity for this position may be conducted via telephone & Zoom video conferencing, based on the department’s current presence on campus.
Harvard is an on-campus community and all positions are based in Massachusetts. We currently expect that employees in Department will work remotely until Fall, 2021. Effective October 1st, as a condition of continued employment, all work must be performed in a state where Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NH, NY, RI, VT).
HUIT is currently developing hybrid workplace models which actively support remote work (within a Harvard registered state) where business and team needs allow. Any remote scheduling of your work, agreed to by your supervisor, will need to be in a state in which Harvard is registered as an employer as a condition of continued employment. Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will may discussed during the interview process.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s COVID-19 Vaccine Information webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Harvard continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff and students, as well as the wider community. Information and details can be found via Harvard’s Coronavirus Workplace Policies website: https://hr.harvard.edu/corona-virus-workplace-policies.
Please provide a cover letter with your application and upload as one document.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- We are unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University. Our mission is to assure Harvard’s leadership in IT. We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn and work through the effective use of information technology.
HUIT’s core values are:
IT Academy (designed for IT Staff):
HUIT’s IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team. The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here: https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging:
Harvard’s commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others and embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. Harvard aims to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that we each experience a sense of inclusion and belonging.
Harvard’s Total Rewards Program is designed to attract, retain, and reward the performance of talented employees. As a Harvard staff member, you enjoy many perks that come with working for one of the top employers in Massachusetts, including:
Flexible work environment: HUIT supports flexible work arrangements where business needs allow.
Time off: 3 – 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Harvard University Employees Credit Union: Our employees credit union provides a complete line of services for all your financial needs. https://huecu.org
Transportation: 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: A variety of programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Learn more: https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards
Harvard University IT plays an important role in supporting Harvard’s commitment by seeking to create, procure and deploy technologies that are accessible to all, including and especially those who live with disability. Harvard welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to request accommodations or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact our University Disability Resources Department.
USA – MA – Cambridge
384060 IT Manager
Strategy & End User Services
00 – Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.