Join the Pack! A community with nearly 8,000 faculty and staff, and 30,000 students. NC State is one of the largest employers in North Carolina, offering a large range of career opportunities. Visit us at https://jobs.hr.ncsu.edu/.
Department: 205001 – Computing Services-coll Of Mgm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Essential Job Duties:
The Poole College of Management Director of IT should provide strategic leadership and IT team management which would include:
- Providing senior-level expertise of technical needs and innovations
- Providing high-level technology leadership, and developing consensus on technology priorities among college stakeholders.
- Developing and implementing a 5-year strategic plan with annual deliverables
- Analyzing and recommending emerging technology trends
- Analyzing and directing where we are going as a college in terms of technology.
- Focusing on personal rapport with faculty and staff to foster effective communication on the short and long-term IT needs of the college and serving as the problem-solver and implementer
- Being proactive in determining what faculty, staff, and students need and what is and isn’t working for them.
- Playing a key role in planning and executing initiatives.
- Negotiating difficult topics with exceptional communication skills.
- Managing the IT and Educational Technology Fees (ETF) budget, always looking for the most cost-effective solutions in collaboration with the Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration.
- Being solution-oriented, evaluating needs, and bringing solutions and answers to the college.
- Monitors, educates on, and enforces university security requirements.
- Ensures exceptional, efficient, and effective support at our off-campus locations (Brooks Ave, Hillsborough, and RTP).
- Coordinates and develops user training as needed.
- Providing Tier 2 and Tier 3 ticket support. Be an active partner in resolving troublesome tickets.
Direct and lead a high-functioning IT team for the college by:
- Determining what support should be in-house versus outsourced. Partnering with external units to ensure an exceptional experience for our faculty, staff, and students.
- Ensuring cross-training of IT employees to manage the breadth of needs of the college.
- Ensuring a high-functioning IT team where all staff have regular feedback and guidance, performance reviews, goal setting, and professional development.
- Publishing a service level agreement and ensuring the entire IT team are adhering to exceptional levels of customer service.
- Ensure that the entire IT team values and engages in a culture of continuous improvement always asking how things can be improved.
- Develops and implements IT policies and systems to support college needs.
- Ensure rapid response to problems with regular monitoring of team performance in terms of timeliness, responsiveness, respectfulness, efficiency, effectiveness, and completion.
This position acts as a liaison between the college and other units’ IT departments as well as the central Office of Information Technology. A successful Director of IT should network with other IT leads, and should actively engage in IT committees. This individual should also engage with other Business School IT Directors in events such as Educause, etc.
This position is considered mandatory for adverse weather conditions and other emergency events. This position works during regular business hours and will include some nights and weekends.
- Preparing and submitting campus and college reports including Education & Technology Fee (ETF) expenditures, software licensing data, project budgets and other ad hoc reports, as needed.
- Serving on PCOM and campus IT committees.
- Employing campus technology management tools create and/or update PCOM email, distributions lists, generic accounts, shared drive access, email aliases, and workshop accounts.
Master’s degree and at least two years’ of relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree with at least three years’ of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and relevant experience.
* For management-level roles, also include with the above requirements 1-2 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience managing a technology support team with supervisory and personnel responsibilities including hiring, performance appraisals, training, staff development plans, and monitoring/assigning job tasks.
- Experience with strategic deployment of IT resources.
- Experience managing multiple technical projects while maintaining/managing daily operational support.
- Experience with managing and implementing technical solutions that require involvement from multiple team members across the organization.
- Experience using project management tools to perform functions such as tracking project status, effort reporting, resource/capacity planning, and prioritization.
- Excellent and effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must be able to work well in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills.
- A demonstrated understanding of the impact of technology on faculty/student success.
- Ability to/experience in developing appropriate processes and implementing technologies that support the IT vision for the college.
Required license or certification:
Position Number: 00000995
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.