Earth Science Modeling Research Technologist
Are you looking for opportunities to apply your computational science, data analysis, or software development skills to help tackle exciting challenges in the Earth sciences including climate impacts, wildland fire, and geothermal exploration? The Computational Earth Science Group at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) has immediate openings for one or more Research Technologists and is looking for individuals with an interest in scientific software engineering, physics-based modeling, and machine learning.
You will work as part of the Computational Earth Science group supporting LANL’s modeling efforts through software development, improvement, maintenance, and testing; code parallelization and optimization; and workflow development and documentation. You will contribute to collaborative projects and support a dynamic team of LANL scientists and external partners.
COVID Vaccine : The COVID vaccine is mandatory for all Laboratory employees, on-site contractors, and on-site subcontractors unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to those working on-site, those teleworking, and all new hires.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: scientific computing, code development, version control, continuous integration, data analysis/management, or machine learning
- Demonstrated research experience
- More than two years of experience writing efficient, readable, and reusable code using Fortran, C, Python, Julia, or a similar language
- Ability to work in a team setting
A Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, mathematics, environmental science, engineering, ecology, or a similar field of study and 2 years of related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related.
- Experience with modeling and/or analysis of earth system processes
- Experience with the programming, parallelization, and/or optimizing of numerical algorithms
- Experience with parsing, analyzing, and/or manipulating large data sets, including GIS, (geo)spatial and geological data
Note to Applicants: Your application package should consist of a CV and a cover letter. Your cover letter should explicitly address how you meet each of the minimum requirements and any of the desired skills, if applicable. Applicants are not expected to meet all desired qualifications. We encourage anyone who meets the minimum requirements to apply. Applications will be reviewed as received. Additional questions may be directed to the hiring committee (email@example.com). Please submit your application through lanl.jobs. Applications sent only via email will not be considered.
About the Company
The Earth and Environmental Sciences (EES) Division is the intellectual home of Earth, atmosphere, hydrology, and ecology disciplines at the Laboratory. Fundamental discovery science and mission-focused applications unravel poorly understood processes and support decisions of national importance.
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes:
- PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
- Dental and vision insurance
- Free basic life and disability insurance
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
- Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
- Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
- Onsite gyms and wellness programs
- Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)