Join the Pack! A community with nearly 8,000 faculty and staff, and 30,000 students. NC State is one of the largest employers in North Carolina, offering a large range of career opportunities. Visit us at https://jobs.hr.ncsu.edu/.
Department: 085001 – Advancement Services
Location: Raleigh, NC
Essential Job Duties:
NC State is seeking an Executive Director of Advancement Information and Technology to oversee the design, technical implementation, and support of the full portfolio of software products, reporting and analytics solutions, automation processes, web systems, and integration efforts supporting all of the development, alumni relations, and public affairs initiatives at NC State.
The Executive Director of Advancement Information and Technology also works with the University Advancement Leadership Team, Chief Development Officers, Directors, and development staff to ensure customized strategic and tactical directions are aligned with business needs and with the University Advancement strategic plan. As a member of a senior management team, the Executive Director of Advancement Information and Technology contributes to or leads planning efforts to achieve organizational goals by vetting and prioritizing initiatives and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future technologies. This position is responsible for analyzing, recommending, and implementing changes and improvements in work processes, reporting needs, artificial intelligence (AI) / machine learning, and applications related to Advancement Services for the entire University Advancement division. This position requires frequent interaction with and offers advice and counsel to senior University Advancement management as well the Chief Development Officers and Deans of our various University Affiliated Entities. The position liaises with key University offices such as central IT and Finance.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a senior member of the management team for Advancement Services.
- Develop strategic, tactical, and capital information technology plans, processes and budgets to support University Advancement’s mission.
- Lead and facilitate the work of staff, stakeholders and vendors to ensure the successful selection, development, testing, implementation and maintenance of a cloud-based constituent relationship management (CRM) system to support University Advancement operations, constituents and affiliated organizations.
- Define and implement policies, procedures and guidelines to ensure efficient, compliant, and secure use of resources.
- Lead data governance initiatives for the division of University Advancement and ensure that efforts are in sync with broader University initiatives, industry norms and ethics, and government regulations re: data privacy and security.
- Lead technology planning to achieve business goals by working with Advancement Services leadership in prioritizing technology initiatives and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future technologies.
- Actively lead application evaluations and manage business partner and vendor relationships to reduce unnecessary spending and negotiate mutually-beneficial contracts.
- Direct the establishment of management controls and development of recurring and special reports and analyses, ensuring that they are complete, accurate, and timely; review and interpret reports/analyses to ensure program goals are attained and take corrective action as necessary.
- Understand core business processes related to fundraising business processes and seek to transform processes with an eye towards accuracy, automation and efficiency.
- Negotiate customers’ priorities within a multi-tasked, deadline-driven environment.
- Work closely with the Associate Vice Chancellor to develop an ongoing 3-5 year strategic information and technology plan for Advancement Services, and establish a budgetary and staffing infrastructure that supports the successful implementation of the plan.
- Coach and mentor the leadership of each reporting unit (Information Services and Advancement Systems) to ensure effective and efficient use of current and future resources. Work in collaboration with the Associate Vice Chancellor and unit heads to develop proactive programs that address the needs of the organizations that rely on the data, analysis, and services of the unit.
- Provide leadership support for Day of Giving and other high-volume, high-value activities to dramatically improve NC State’s culture of philanthropy and constituent engagement
- Ensure the University is perceived as a national leader in Advancement Services, and an organization against which others want to benchmark.
- Conduct research to understand and evaluate industry trends and emerging technologies to support Advancement Services business requirements and related system changes.
- Supervise recruitment, professional development, retention, and organization of staff in accordance with the organization’s budgetary objectives and human resource policies.
- Assume responsibility of Advancement Services in the absence of the Associate Vice Chancellor and make timely decisions as needed.
- Continually reinforce a culture of protecting donor and alumni data among users of Advancement Services resources.
- Represent Advancement in campus initiatives and participate in campus committees as appropriate.
- Assists the Associate Vice Chancellor is leading institution-level activities in Prospect Research, Prospect Management, Alumni and Donor Records, Advancement Information Technology and Services, and Advancement Communication and Donor Relations.
- Provides support to the Associate Vice Chancellor in developing a vision for Advancement Services at NC State, and communicating that vision to all constituents on a regular basis.
- Assists the Associate Vice Chancellor in developing and articulating assessment benchmarks for enhanced levels of productivity for each of the units in Advancement Services, and measuring the progress towards outcome goals, reporting that progress to all constituencies on a regular basis.
Master’s degree and at least two years’ of relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree with at least three years’ of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and relevant experience.
* For management-level roles, also include with the above requirements 1-2 years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent leadership, supervisory, communication and organizational skills to effectively manage a diverse team of information technology and support staff members.
- Ability and interest in managing, developing, motivating, and mentoring staff.
- Ability to exercise decisiveness and good judgment in situations requiring the evaluation of information to reach creative solutions.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to listen carefully and understand customers’ needs, both internally and externally, and proactively respond to those needs in a consistent, timely, and effective manner.
- Ability to work collaboratively to achieve common goals; support cooperation, efficiency, and the sharing of information while providing the best quality product available, and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality in all areas of responsibility.
- Ability to provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling of appropriate professional behavior, optimism and enthusiasm for the work, and high achievement.
- Ability to administer large information systems, understand related university systems, possess strong data analysis and critical thinking skills, and have a high level of personal integrity to maintain confidentiality of sensitive data.
- Knowledge of information systems and marketing fundamentals and project management. Large-scale software implementation experience.
- Ability to manage change in a large organization, particularly as it relates to information systems conversions.
- Excellent skill and understanding of information technology and constituent software applications.
- Demonstrated understanding of the tenets of data governance in a large and complex enterprise environment.
- An understanding of the types of data, reports, and analyses needed to support the fundraising efforts of a large nonprofit, specifically in the higher education industry.
- Demonstrated analytical skills with the ability to recognize opportunities, to identify critical, high return activities, prioritize them to attain goals, and implement appropriate changes to programs.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure services such as Salesforce, Amazon Web Services, or Microsoft Dynamics.
- Experience in the selection, development, testing, implementation and maintenance of advancement CRM such as Salesforce, Blackbaud CRM, or Ellucian CRM Advance.
- Demonstrated experience in advancement services management in a large, complex university or non-profit organization.
- Capacity to code in modern software languages and/or structured query languages or understand and critique the programming work of team, vendors, or contractors.
- Proficiency in SQL
- Expert in CASE Reporting Standards and Management Guidelines
Required license or certification:
Position Number: 00101502
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.