Is Far Cry 3 not launching or responding on your Windows PC? Here is a full guide to fix this issue. Far Cry 3 is the third part of the Far Cry series which is a first-person shooter game developed by Ubisoft. It is an old, still popular game amongst gaming enthusiasts. However, a lot of users have complained of being unable to launch Far Cry 3 on their Windows 11/10 PC. The game won’t launch or respond making them unable to play their game. It can be frustrating, especially when you are unable to fix the issue. But, no worries, this article will help you resolve the problem using several fixes. Let us checkout!
What causes the Far Cry 3 Not Launching or Responding issue?
There are can be multiple causes of Far Cry 3 not launching or reasoning on your PC. Here are some of the common causes for this issue:
- It might be caused due to some third-party conflicts. It turns out to be that sometimes third-party software installed on your PC interferes with your game and it won’t launch.
- Compatibility issues can also trigger this issue as Far Cry 3 is an old game and it might be difficult to run it on the newer Windows versions.
- A corrupted or damaged game profile can also cause this issue. In that case, deleting the game profile can help your resolve the issue.
- In many cases, however weird it sounds, running the game on a modern processor can also cause the problem.
- Enabled Multithreaded Rendering feature in the game profile can be another reason for the same
Now that you know the scenarios that trigger the issue, let us find out the solutions to fix it up.
Far Cry 3 Not launching, Working or Responding
Here are the methods to try when Far Cry 3 is not launching or responding on your Windows 11/10 PC:
- Run the game in Compatibility Mode.
- Turn off Multithreaded Rendering.
- Delete Corrupted Game Profile.
- Restrict the Number of Processors.
- Troubleshoot in a Clean Boot State.
Let us discuss the above methods in detail now.
1] Run the game in Compatibility Mode
At first, try launching Far Cry 3 in compatibility mode and see if the issue is fixed. As Far Cry 3 is an old game and was designed to work with older versions of Windows, it may not work with the latest Windows that well. So, what you can do is change the compatibility mode for your game and run it in on an older version of Windows.
You can try the below steps to run Far Cry 3 in compatibility mode:
- Firstly, go to the directory where the Far Cry 3 game is installed on your PC.
- Now, open the bin folder in the installation directory and then right-click on the farcry3_d3d11.exe file.
- From the drop-down options, click on the Properties option.
- In the Properties window, go to the Compatibility tab.
- Next, enable the Run this program in compatibility mode for the checkbox.
- After that, choose Windows 7 or Windows 8 from the drop-down menu. You can try both one by one in case the other didn’t work.
- Then, make sure to enable the Run this program as an administrator checkbox as well.
- Finally, click on the Apply > OK button to save changes.
Try launching the Far Cry 3 now and see if it launches properly now or not. If not, you will have to use some other method to fix it up. So, move on to the next solution.
2] Turn off Multithreaded Rendering
As we discussed earlier, the Multithreaded Rendering feature can also be causing this issue for you. This feature is basically used for improving CPU performance with multiple cores. However, it might be causing trouble in launching Far Cry 3. So, try disabling this feature and then see if the problem is fixed. This can be done by making changes to the game profile file. You can follow the below steps to do so:
- Firstly, open File Explorer on your PC.
- Now, open the Documents folder.
- In the Documents library folder, you will see a My Games folder; open it.
- Next, go to the Far Cry 3 folder.
- Inside the Far Cry 3 folder, you will see the GamerProfile.xml file. Simply right-click on this file and use the Open with > Notepad option to open it in Notepad.
- Then, in the opened XML file, search for the D3D11MultithreadedRendering keyword using the Find dialog box.
- After locating the above keyword, set its value to 0 to disable it.
- Finally, press the Ctrl + S hotkey to save changes in the file.
You can now try launching Far Cry 3 and see if the issue is fixed. If not, try some other solution to fix the issue.
Read: Among Us not working or opening on Windows PC.
3] Delete Corrupted Game Profile
Sometimes, problematic or corrupted game profiles can create problems in launching the Far Cry 3 game. The game profiles store game settings and other configurations and are important. However, a damaged corrupted file will cause trouble in launching the game. So, you will need to delete a corrupted game profile. When you delete a game profile, a new one will be generated automatically when you start the game.
Here are the steps to delete the corrupted game profile for Far Cry 3:
- First, open the File Explorer open the Documents folder.
- Now, navigate to the My Games folder and open the Far Cry 3 sub-folder.
- Next, from the folder, select the GamerProfile.xml file
- After that, use the Delete option to delete it. You can also cut and paste it to some other location on your PC.
- You can now launch Far Cry 3 and see it launches properly.
Read: Steam games won’t launch; Stuck on Preparing to Launch.
4] Restrict the Number of Processors
Running Far Cry 3 on the latest processors can cause issues in launching the game as it is an old game. So, if you want to run Far Cry 3 without any problems, you can limit the number of processors. Here are the steps to do that:
- Firstly, open the System Configuration app by searching for the same in the taskbar search box.
- Now, go to the Boot tab, and here, tap on the Advanced options button.
- Next, you will see a BOOT Advanced Options dialog. From here, enable the Number of processors checkbox and select a number less than the total available processors.
- Then, click on the OK button.
- After that, press Apply > OK and restart the PC.
Try launching Far Cry 3 now and see if the issue is fixed.
5] Troubleshoot in a Clean Boot State
Third-party software conflicts can also result in this issue of Far Cry not launching or responding on Windows PC. Your antivirus or any other third-party app might be interfering with the game and causing the problem of Far Cry 3 not launching or responding. Hence, you can try troubleshooting this issue by performing a clean boot. Here are the steps that you need to follow in order to do that:
- Firstly, open the Run dialog box by clicking the Windows + R hotkey.
- Now, type msconfig in the Open box and then press the Enter button.
- Next, in the System Configuration window, go to the Services tab and enable the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Then, click on the Disable all button to disable all the third-party services than Microsoft’s and press the Apply button.
- After that, move to the Startup tab and tap on the Open Task Manager option.
- In the Task Manager’s Startup tab, disable all the startup applications.
- Finally, restart your PC and try launching the Far Cry 3 game.
Read: Fix Age of Empires Definitive Edition not launching or working
How do you fix Far Cry 3 stopped working?
If Far Cry 3 stopped working, you can try some fixes to resolve the issue. Try troubleshooting the issue in a clean boot state. This is to avoid any third-party software conflicts causing the game to stop working. Other than that, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the game on your PC and check if the issue is resolved. You can also try the fixes listed in this post to resolve the issue.
Why does Far Cry 3 keep crashing?
As mentioned on Microsoft Community, the main reason for the Far Cry 3 crashing issue is TabletInputService, the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service. You can try disabling this service by open the Task Manager, selecting the TabletInputService service from the Services tab, and then right-click on it. After that, select the Stop option to disable it. When needed, you can turn it on back.
How long does Far Cry 3 take to load?
Far Cry 3 takes a long time to load. It requires 10-25 minutes to load while being online in Uplay and Steam. If offline, it needs 10-20 minutes to load.
That’s it! Hope this guide helps you fix the issue of not being able to launch Far Cry 3 on Windows PC.
Now read: Hitman 3 won’t launch on Windows PC.