Genomics Staff Data Scientist
- Genomics Staff Data Scientist – 94117
- Organization: JG-Joint Genome Institute
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Joint Genome Institute (JGI, https://biosciences.lbl.gov/area-organization/jgi/) Division has an exciting opening for a Staff Genomics Data Scientist.
In this role, you will work in the User Support Analysis (USA) group to analyze data from cutting-edge genomics research projects that address critical needs in clean energy generation and environmental characterization and cleanup. You will work on analysis of large scale genomic sequencing datasets, and help explore new technologies such as single-cell transcriptomics, nanopore sequencing and metabolomics. Our projects span a diversity of life covering plant, fungal, microbial, and environmental genomes. Some recent examples of projects include: population genomics in poplar (Nature genetics 46 (10), 1089-1096), functional genomics in bacteria (Nature 557 (7706), 503-509), single-cell transcriptomics in plants (Cell reports 27 (7), 2241-2247. e4).
You will act as a project lead within the USA group to implement custom analyses and develop automated pipelines as projects scale. Work will be in one to two main subject areas, with possible focus areas including transcriptomics or epigenomics (though new technologies may take precedence). You will work closely with JGI experimental scientists to provide input on experiment design, develop analysis approaches, provide analysis reports, and contribute to publications. You will also use your expertise in computation and genome biology to contribute broadly to analysis efforts across the JGI.
What You Will Do:
- Take a lead role analyzing data for JGI user community science projects
- Develop and manage a high throughput data analysis pipeline (e.g., transcriptomics, epigenomics).
- Implementing new analyses for emerging genomic technologies (e.g., single cell technologies, nanopore sequencing) as they are implemented at the JGI.
- Perform custom analysis for research projects led by scientists at both JGI and external institutions.
- Work with research scientists to understand project-specific analysis requirements and deliverables, implement custom analysis workflows, and perform analyses in a timely manner.
- Provide interpretation of analysis results and propose actions (both lab and analysis).
- Prepare analysis results for presentation and publication at internal and external meetings.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=212861 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
What is Required:
- B.S. in a related technical/scientific field, or equivalent experience, and a minimum of 8 years related experience.
- Extensive experience in genomic analysis, sequencing analysis pipelines, and significant research accomplishments including a strong publication record.
- Proficiency in developing analysis software (Python/Perl/R) in a UNIX environment.
- Broad understanding of bioinformatics tools used for genome analysis, development of re-sequencing pipelines, and integration of varied large data sets.
- In-depth experience running high throughput analyses in a parallel computing environment (SGE, SLURM).
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot highly complex technical problems; recommend and implement actions.
- Effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently as well as a part of a diverse team.
- Experience in experimental molecular biology and genomic technologies.
- Experience in metabolomics data analysis.
- Web development experience.
- Experience in MySQL database.
- Java / C development experience.
- Significant experience using AWS or other cloud platforms.
- This is a full time, 2 year, term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
About the Company
Learn About Us:
JGI & Berkeley Lab: A View to Fuel Innovative Science in the Public Interest
They say it’s all about location and Berkeley Lab has it all: a view above the San Francisco Bay, cool breezes, and world-class multidisciplinary science within a diverse and respectful research ecosystem of 5,000 people. Nearly 90 years ago, Ernest Orlando Lawrence, the inventor of the cyclotron, brought physicists, biologists, engineers and mathematicians together in Berkeley above the University of California campus to tackle the most urgent scientific challenges. Today, after garnering 13 Nobel Prizes, Berkeley Lab has sustained and grown that tradition of open, interdisciplinary team science, exemplified by how the U.S. Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute (JGI) addresses the most pressing energy and environmental challenges using integrative genome science approaches. JGI takes up residence in the new, state-of-the-art Integrative Genomics Building (IGB) along with the U.S. Department of Energy Systems Biology Knowledgebase (KBase) to expand the frontiers of energy and environmental science in partnership with the worldwide community of researchers. Will you join us and be a critical part of our next ground-breaking discoveries?
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Based on University of California Policy – SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.