This tutorial is about the How you can Change the Trusted Phone Number for Your Apple ID. We will try our best so that you understand this guide. I hope you like this blog How you can Change the Trusted Phone Number for Your Apple ID. If your answer is yes then please do share after reading this.
Check How you can Change the Trusted Phone Number for Your Apple ID
If you switch to a different provider, you may want to change the trusted phone number that is linked to your Apple ID. It is useful for two-factor authentication purposes and ensures that your account is not completely locked out.
You can also add multiple trusted phone numbers to your account, as long as you use more than one phone. Apple makes it easy to do right from your iPhone, iPad, and even your Mac. Here, we’ll see how you can update the trusted phone number on iOS and macOS.
What is a reliable phone number?
A trusted phone number is simply a phone number that Apple uses to verify your identity when you sign in to a new device with your Apple account. It acts as a second layer of security for Apple’s two-factor authentication (2FA) system.
Usually when you log into your Apple ID account from a new device, you will receive the 2FA message on your trusted devices. But if that doesn’t work, or you don’t have access to your trusted device, you can ask Apple to send a verification code to your trusted phone number as an SMS.
How to Add or Remove Trusted Phone Numbers on an iPhone and iPad
When you first enable 2FA on your Apple account, the phone number you use with your iPhone is automatically registered as a trusted number. However, you can follow these simple instructions to add, delete, or update a trusted phone number on your iOS or iPadOS devices:
- Go to Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- In Settings, tap on your Apple ID name, located at the top.
- Then select Password and security in your Apple ID settings.
- Here you will see your current trust number. Touch Edit next to the trusted phone number.
- Now, tap on Add a Trusted Phone Number to get started.
- You will need to enter your device password to authenticate the process.
- Then select the country code and enter the number. You can choose to verify your number via text message or phone call. When you’re ready, tap Submit.
At this point, all you need to do is enter the verification code you receive to register this new phone number as a trusted phone number. And when you’re done, you should be set up to use this alternate way to log into your Apple account with 2FA.
How to add or remove a trusted phone number on a Mac
If you’re reading this on your Mac, you can also update your trusted phone number in macOS in a somewhat similar way. Assuming you have a 2FA enabled Apple account, this is what you should do:
- Head to System Preferences on your Mac.
- Click on Apple ID in the upper right corner of the window.
- This should show your Apple ID settings. Select Password and security in the left pane.
- Here, you will find the Trusted Phone Numbers section on the right. Click Edit next to it.
- Now, you will see your current phone number along with the option to add a new one. Touch the plus (+) icon to start.
- Next, you need to enter your Mac’s user password before entering the new phone number and country code.
You will get a verification code on your new phone number for confirmation, after which you can use it as a backup method to log into your Apple account from new devices.
A trusted phone number helps you log in without a trusted device
Using a trusted phone number will be your only option when you don’t have access to a trusted device, like your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. On top of that, Apple’s 2FA pop-ups can sometimes crash and take a long time to appear. In such cases, a simple text message with the verification code would be a faster way to log into your Apple account.
And if you’re someone who uses multiple phones, you can add multiple trusted numbers to make sure your account is never blocked.
Final words: How you can Change the Trusted Phone Number for Your Apple ID
I hope you understand this article How you can Change the Trusted Phone Number for Your Apple ID, if your answer is no then you can ask anything via contact forum section related to this article. And if your answer is yes then please share this article with your family and friends.