IT Assistant Manager
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Technology Services has an opening for an IT Assistant Manager. The prime candidate would have a background in the installation of communication cabling and equipment in an enterprise class network environment. They would also have knowledge of NEC codes and standards related to communication. The candidate would also have experience in supervising large enterprise installations and be able to utilize all assigned resources to complete the job by the given deadlines. They would also need to be a quick thinker, well organized and able to multitask. The candidate would also be very dependable and be able to handle many disruptions during the workday
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY:
The function of this position is to manage the daily activities of Technology Services at Illinois Urbana campus Communication Installation and Maintenance Services (CIMS). This includes managing and supervising CIMS staff, daily activities, and projects, providing technical consulting for and assisting with the planning and implementation of new voice and data communication systems and services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage daily activities for the installation and maintenance for all voice and data networks including wireless, CCTV, DAS and CATV. Assist IT Infrastructure management in monitoring the operating budget. Use formal meetings, telephone contacts and informal office visits with campus customers, Networking, Plant Engineering, Technology Services at Illinois staff, Campus communications providers and vendors to develop communication solutions and resolve problems
- Supervise the Technology Services at Illinois communication technicians and coordinate daily work assignments as well as major projects. Activities include: supervise facility assignment and dispatch staff? ensure that installations and repairs are performed in accordance to department and city standards? arrange technical, safety and staff development training? conduct annual performance reviews? address personnel issues.
- Assist the IT Manager and/or provide technical assistance and consulting to campus and Technology Services at Illinois staff in maintaining the operation and maintenance of communication systems and services such as wireless (networking, door access), the environmental/security systems in communications nodes, voice/data networks and alarm circuits (fire, intrusion, moisture, and temperature) CCTV and DAS.
- Assist the IT Manager in working with the Assignment Group and CIMS Account Technician to keep the Pinnacle Cable Management and billing up to date.
- Assist the IT Manager in maintaining data software applications for applicable CIMS projects (e.g. Excel, share point).
- Assist the IT Manager in the coordination of CIMS projects with the wireless/wired Networking group and the Plant Engineering Group.
- Assist the IT Manager in determining long-term and short-term CIMS objectives, goals and operational budget information.
- Propose changes and assist management with new procedures to improve service and efficient work capabilities of technicians through training and contributions in meetings and campus public relations.
- Attend training, formal meetings, presentations and make information contacts with vendors and other technical personnel to evaluate new equipment and keep abreast of new technologies. Perform related duties as assigned.
- See required experience for education information.
- Six years of progressively responsible experience installing and maintaining enterprise-class wireless and data networks for educational or commercial use to compliance with TIA/EIA or NEC standards.
- College course work with a concentration in Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline may be substituted as follows: 60 semester hours or Associate’s Degree equals one (1) year, 90 semester hours equals two (2) years, 120 semester hours or Bachelor’s Degree equals three (3) years.
- Two years of total work experience in a supervisory or lead worker capacity in an IT environment.
Training, Licenses or Certifications:
- Valid Illinois driver’s license. Applicable BICSI certifications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A clear understanding of the applicable University and city wiring codes for in-building communication wiring. This includes appropriate standards according to the National Electric Code, Communication Distribution methods manual and BICSI.
- The ability to coordinate multiple jobs and supervise a staff responsible for providing and supporting a variety of services.
- The ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- A clear understanding of voice and data communication industry standards, terminology, and procedures.
- The ability to make good judgment decisions in situations which call for immediate action as well as those which will have long term effects.
- Knowledge obtained through Manager/HR training such as campus HR Series preferred.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service IT Manager/Administrative Coordinator position appointed on a -month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after August 16, 2021. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by August 16, 2021. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application using the “Apply for Position” button below.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload the following documents:
- cover letter
- resume (months and years of employment must be included)
- academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or copy of diploma may be acceptable) for all degrees attained
- names/contact information for three references
To be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 217-333-4222. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The administration, faculty and staff embrace diversity and are committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.