Job ID: 294765
VICE PRES INFORMATION TECHNLGY (UA-VPIT-IUBLA)
Part of University Information Technology Services (UITS), the Enterprise Business Intelligence team sits within the
Enterprise Infrastructure (EI) unit reporting to the Enterprise Systems division. Enterprise Systems provides the technical foundation for
resilient, secure, and highly available IT services that help make IU a world-class university. Specifically, Enterprise Infrastructure is
made up of talented IT professionals providing best practices and effective methodologies in support of the highly portable and secure IT
services needed for greater flexibility, improved efficiency and decision making. EI has established core values of trust, collaboration,
continuous improvement, accountability and professional development.
The Decision Support Initiative (DSI) is a bold movement to
dramatically improve information supplied to decision makers at all levels of the university. The Enterprise Business Intelligence team,
which has been given responsibility for the implementation of DSI, creates and maintains the decision making services needed to fulfill
university reporting and data analytics needs. To that end, the Enterprise Business Intelligence team seeks a qualified candidate to
participate in all aspects of our agile business intelligence lifecycle as both Business Analyst and Scrum Master.
- Leads and conducts assessments to understand client business needs and strategic direction and identifies
technology solutions to achieve goals; consults with IT staff and business users to identify, analyze, refine and document business
requirements and processes and develop associated solutions.
- Leads and conducts interviews, focus groups, and workshops to
establish current and future business requirements; coordinates the communication between stakeholders and service owners in order to
effectively implement solutions.
- Provides advanced business analyses, including construction of data models, business use cases,
process flows and technical specifications for transition to IT solutions; establishes system requirements through functional and technical
assessments of existing software.
- Provides stakeholders with necessary analysis documentation for buy-in, leadership decision,
and implementation; conducts walkthroughs of recommended system functionality and prototypes with business users in small group or large
- Leads system/integration testing efforts; tests changes, enhancements, and new programs or functions to ensure
they meet business needs.
- Makes recommendations to improve, as well as implements, testing, quality assurance, and documentation
protocols and procedures for business analysis services.
- Stays up-to-date on new industry standards, business analysis best
practices, emerging technologies, and accessibility standards.
- May serve as project leader; often provides guidance to junior
Specific department responsibilities:
- This position will focus on continued
guidance of the team toward the goals of iterative process improvement and will also frequently liaise with Product Owners, assisting the
team with project planning, communications and team accountability.
- Will collaborate with other DSI project team members,
project sponsors and technical analysts, helping to establish business requirements and plans leading to timely deliverables working in an
- Will also perform technical tasks and more specifically, will lead the effort to fully complete the
implementation and deployment of the “Information Self-Service” data platform from Denodo.
- Activities such as the development of
project plans and timelines, data analysis, vendor management, development of training materials, documentation and support of other ES
business intelligence services all fall within the scope of the position requirements.
- Will collaborate with functional business
clients and other teams within the central information technology organization by developing excellent relationships through careful
consideration and communication of analysis and work assignments.
- May assist with management of application releases.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Systems, or a related discipline.
- 5 years of business analysis experience working
on complex problems and producing concrete, actionable solutions.
- 5 years of
professional experience working as an IT professional with a focus on data related technologies.
- Experience in data related
technologies such as Data Analysis, Database Systems, SQL, etc. Experience with Agile BI development techniques and processes.
Project Planning and experience in organizing project deployments for peer team members.
- Experience resolving highly complex
integration issues involving multiple technologies and business areas.
Combinations of related education and
relevant experience will be considered.
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism.
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality.
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty.
- Highly thorough and dependable.
Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure.
- Possesses a high degree of initiative.
- Ability to
influence internal and/or external constituents.
- Service-oriented and advanced skill in providing positive, friendly customer
- Familiarity with University Systems and the Enterprise Data Warehouse
including subject areas such as Human Resources, Student, Finance, Purchasing and Research Administration.
- Broad demonstrated
ability working with enterprise-scale technology projects with a background in Agile Scrum.
- Understanding of common design
patterns, development architectures, test-driven development and the agile methodology.
- Demonstrable skill in analyzing complex
problems and producing concrete, actionable solutions, specifically as it pertains to production troubleshooting.
- Enthusiasm for
learning new technologies.
- Willingness to work as a part of a team.
- Ability to assume project leadership and work
with a high degree of complexity.
- High levels of accuracy, problem-solving, dependability, and responsibility.
Functional understanding of Oracle, Denodo and Tableau Services preferred. Experience with other business intelligence tools and platforms
- Demonstrates initiative, creativity, and innovation in the development of stable and achievable development plans.
Working Conditions / Demands
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a
computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an
office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an
Job Function: Information Technology
Job Family: Business/Systems Analysis
Click here to
learn more about Indiana University’s Job Framework.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal
employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic
information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the
basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or
complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX
Coordinator. See Indiana University’s Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.
Indiana University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status. This institution is also a provider of ADA services.