Posting Number: 0401475
Description of primary duties and responsibilities:
Primary Purpose of the Organizational
The mission of Information Technology and Telecommunication Services is to explore, implement, maintain,
and support the uses of technology to achieve Fayetteville State University’s (FSU) academic and administrative
objectives effectively and efficiently as stated in FSU’s strategic plan.
Primary Purpose of the
This position is hands-on and responsible for overseeing both the technical and managerial aspect
regarding FSU’s infrastructure systems and architectural design. In addition, the position is responsible for planning, designing, and
directing the IT infrastructure and daily operations while simultaneously managing the members of the network infrastructure
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages all people and processes related to data center operations, infrastructure servers, systems
and storage and architectural design.
- Includes conducting performance evaluations, training and recommendations,
budgeting, project planning, and hiring. In addition, works with internal audit team during yearly IT controls audit.
Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the University’s information infrastructure systems and data centers
and/or oversees the performance of all hardware installs, configuration changes, upgrades, and servers
- Promptly addresses
system-wide and local operational problems, and closely manages all related financial aspects.
- Develops and maintains
strategy for system refresh cycles while keeping track of warranties and service agreements and renews or extends when necessary.
- Manages and directs enterprise cyber security remediation efforts while working closely with Information Security.
- Oversees and implements data protection strategies to safeguard all systems, as well as the University’s documents, records, and
research data; manages hardware and software requirements for FSUs Internet and web site connections and the multiple file servers used to
support the University’s operations.
- Develops and maintains disaster recovery policies and procedures and conducts regular
tests for proficiency.
- Investigates potential new software and hardware for the organization; installs and supports
existing software applications
- Makes recommendations about the kind of computer training that would be beneficial to the
University, as well as the employees who would likely benefit the most
- Apprises the Associate CIO and CIO regarding upgrades and/or new products that would enhance the University’s
operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Participates in the development and administration of the department’s annual
- Develops and documents best practices, processes, and procedures related to all aspects of
infrastructure. Serves as liaison between departments, practice groups, and IT regarding infrastructure projects.
Description of Work Continued:
Enterprise Network Infrastructure
Manages all people and processes related to network infrastructure systems – including performance evaluations, training and
recommendations, project planning, and hiring.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Institute’s information
network and firewall infrastructure systems
- Performs and/or oversees the performance of installation, configuration
changes, upgrades and repairs to all network and firewall systems, promptly addresses system-wide and local operational problems, and
closely manages all related financial aspects
- Additional responsibilities include monitoring all aspects of the network
infrastructure and working closely with the Information Security and Data Center Infrastructure teams to develop best of breed security
- Investigates potential new software and hardware for the organization; apprises Director regarding upgrades
and/or new products that would enhance the Institute’s operational efficiency and effectiveness
Data Center Infrastructure
o Storage Technologies
o Data Protection Strategies
o Cloud Deployments
o Active Directory
o Network Integrations
o Disaster Recovery Strategies
o Data Center
Enterprise Network Infrastructure
o Cisco Switches and
o Palo Alto and Cisco Firewalls
o Telephony – Cloud/On-Prem
o Data and Internet Circuits
o Data Center Operations
Management & Supervisory
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, and
training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing
complaints and resolving problems.
- Keeps track of warranties and service agreements and renews or extends when
- In partnership with the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and Associate CIO, continuously develop a short and long-term strategic vision for technology infrastructure and operations to support
the evolving needs of the academic and administrative areas of the university.
- In collaboration with team members, lead
the assessment of current technologies and architectures and identify areas where improvements could be made.
in the development and administration of the department’s annual operating budget.
- Develops and documents best practices,
processes, and procedures related to all aspects of network infrastructure and architectural design including developing run books for the
entire network ecosystem. Serves as liaison between departments, practice groups, and IT regarding infrastructure projects.
- Continuously examine where new technologies are warranted and where existing services and methods might be eliminated, diminished, or
expanded as internal and external factors change.
- Provide leadership and planning expertise-as well as capable decision
making-at the operational level when necessary.
- Oversee disaster recovery and business continuity planning and
- Other duties or responsibilities may be assigned.
Tertiary Duties &
- Represent FSU & ITS by attending and/or
presenting at appropriate conferences and events.
- Participate in the life of the university by attending campus events and
serving on campus staff committees.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree with at least three years of progressive responsibility
including supervising staff and leading technology projects; OR five or more years of equivalent experience may be
substituted for degree requirement.
- Five or more years of experience in networking and management may be substituted for
the bachelor’s degree on a year-for-year basis.
- Experience with or knowledge of technical concepts involved with system
administration, networking, cloud transition, and local and cloud data center support.
- Must have experience with Microsoft
products, IP networking, enterprise IT architecture, VPN, Routers, Switches, Firewalls, and other security
- Must be a leader who can influence stakeholders in written and oral communications.
Additional Information for Applicants:
All new employees are required to have listed
credentials/degrees verified prior to employment. Transcripts should be provided for all earned degrees and/or the degree which is being
used to satisfy credential/qualification requirements. Transcript requests are the responsibility of the
This position is subject to the successful completion of an
employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks,
license verification (if applicable) and credit history check (if applicable).
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality
of educational opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, religion, color, national
origin, sex, age, disabling condition, political affiliation or sexual orientation. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity
and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority
referrals of protected veterans for our openings.
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.