Under the general direction of the Director of IT Operations, the IT Operations Manager is responsible for overseeing the teams responsible for networking, infrastructure, endpoint management, and compliance with university policy that relates to these environments. The position serves the entire University Libraries system, which includes libraries in Blacksburg, the National Capital Region, and the Health Science and Technology Innovation District in Roanoke. The IT Operations Manager provides managerial leadership and expertise in designing and planning the future development for technological aspects of the physical spaces within the Libraries, taking into account the service strategy and newly available technologies to enhance the growth and effectiveness of the Libraries’ services.
As part of Library IT, the IT Operations Manager will work closely with the IT Service Desk and Digital Library Development teams, and other directors and managers over technology driven library services to ensure that our technology framework supports the Libraries’ mission to enable people to cultivate ideas, develop capacities, and create knowledge.
Areas of responsibility
* Personnel Management and Supervision
* Project Management and Reporting
* University Security Compliance across Library endpoints, local storage, and infrastructure
* Infrastructure and endpoint configuration, deployment, and management (servers, computers, printers, signage, kiosks, audio-visual, etc.)
* Enterprise device management (macOS, iOS, and Windows)
* Advanced degree or bachelor’s degree plus experience in a field related to the position
* Experience managing diverse groups of IT professionals in an inclusive work environment to accomplish both short and long-range IT projects on time and on budget with minimal guidance
* Experience supporting enterprise endpoint management systems such as remote access management, imaging, directory services, and endpoint management solutions
* Must possess strong analytical, interpersonal and problem-solving skills as well as exceptionally strong communication skills
* Proven record of customer service excellence, and the ability to inspire service excellence in staff
* Experience conceptualizing, articulating, and identifying meaningful success measures for strategic and near-term goals
* Proven record of success hiring, managing, and motivating professional staff, and facilitating their professional development
* Experience working in a hybrid work environment
* Advanced business analysis, project management, and/or planning skills or certification
* Familiarity with ITIL concepts and best practices
A/P Faculty Lecturer, regular full-time appointment
$85,000 minimum dependent on education and experience
June 13, 2022
- Requires valid driver’s license in good standing
- Must be willing to travel as needed to the University Libraries branches for support, these include branch libraries in Blacksburg, the National Capital Region, and the Health Science and Technology Innovation District in Roanoke. Travel to these areas will be on a limited basis
- The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications, names of three (3) references and their contact information.
- The University Libraries at Virginia Tech is committed to building a culturally diverse community and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities. We are committed to mentoring and establishing safe spaces, both physical and virtual, where employees from current and historically minoritized groups can thrive.
The members of the University Libraries at Virginia Tech strive individually and collectively to create, sustain, and share inclusive ways of knowing in conscientious community with each other and all the people we serve in every space we shape. In keeping with our Aspirational Identity and the Virginia Tech Principles of Community, the University Libraries commit to build and maintain enduring climates of mutual care, respect, and responsibility.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Cathy Pillow at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to the principle of diversity, and in that spirit seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should notify the hiring department by the application deadline.