JOB OPENING ID: 212472
ORGANIZATIONAL GROUP: Exec Vp Med Affairs
DEPARTMENT: MM Rev Cycle (PTO)
What You’ll Do
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
Revenue Cycle is in the process of deploying Outpatient Facility/Professional (OP Facility/Professional) Computer Assisted Coding and Hierarchical Condition Categories (HCC) optimization applications. This position will be responsible for managing both projects. The IT Project Manager will utilize agile project management practices to ensure that projects are defined, tracked, communicated and implemented in a consistent and effective manner, ensuring the IT needs of Revenue Cycle and the clinicians and patients we serve are met with the highest rate of return, value and satisfaction.
Under general direction, the IT Project Manager is responsible for all aspects of the development and implementation of assigned projects and provides a single point of contact for those projects. Takes projects from original concept through final implementation. Interfaces with all areas affected by the project including end users, computer services, and client services. Defines project scope and objectives. Develops detailed work plans, schedules, project estimates, resource plans, and status reports. Conducts project meetings and is responsible for project tracking and analysis. Ensures adherence to quality standards and reviews project deliverables. Manages the integration of vendor tasks and tracks and reviews vendor deliverables. Provides technical and analytical guidance to project team. Recommends and takes action to direct the analysis and solutions of problems. Employees in this classification typically analyze, compare and evaluate various courses of action and have the authority to make independent decisions on matters of significance, free from immediate direction, within the scope of their responsibilities. Primary activities and decision making authority are predominantly performed independently affecting business operations to a substantial degree. Under FLSA, incumbents in this position meet the criteria for exempt status.
This role also requires the individual to liaison on process and documentation analysis; to proactively plan and manage dynamics related to implementation of the institution’s many applications – clinical, revenue cycle and business. Duties would include coordinating logistics and creating and managing documentation for multiple standing committees. These responsibilities will result in efficient, standardized, appropriate process changes that will be integrated and communicated to leaders and groups.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Through primarily matrix reporting lines, provide functional leadership to leaders, business analysts and other staff with completing multiple, simultaneous projects.
- Make recommendations to leadership on work redesign efforts that assure an efficient and cost-effective department.
- Lead teams, committees, and special projects as assigned.
- Coach and counsel project team members for success.
PROCESS EXECUTION – OPERATIONS
- Assist in the planning, design, development, implementation, maintenance, and evaluation of business systems to support Revenue Cycle operations and patient care delivery.
- Perform analysis of department and end-user business needs. Document end-user requirements. Utilize technical, analytical, and customer service skills, knowledge of regulatory requirements, and Revenue Cycle policy and practices related to the EHR to identify options to meet end-user needs. Articulate the costs, risks, and benefits of all options presented to enable informed decision-making.
- Participate in activities with interrelated teams including project management, testing, support, training, technical, and interface teams.
- Coordinate the preparation, evaluation and response throughout all portions of requests for proposal (RFP) or requests for information (RFI) processes.
- Coordinate functional testing and implementation of IT programs and systems, including preparation of scripts and data for system testing.
- Manage tracking tools and databases as needed.
- Coordinate site visits for health information technology and workflows for clinic mergers and acquisitions.
- Review the pre-initiation documentation and agree to project problem, customer needs and environment, and requirements.
- Work with the Project Sponsor and other key team members to validate project approach, goals, objectives, and deliverables.
- Update preliminary project scope document (project team members and stakeholders, milestone schedule, budget, risks, constraints, and assumptions).
- Conduct a stakeholder analysis.
- Work with sponsor and/or appropriate committee(s) to obtain project authorization.
- Research industry standards.
- Develop detailed work plans, schedules, estimates, resource plans, and status reports.
- Conduct project meetings and hold responsibility for project tracking and analysis.
- Coordinate event planning and logistics.
- Set, communicate, and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders.
- Facilitate the creation of executive, departmental, and unit operational benchmarking activities and reporting for assigned projects.
PEOPLE AND PARTNERS
- Conducts effective cross-organization communications with co-workers, teams, and business offices, ensuring proactive and appropriate dissemination of information. Communicates with customers on an on-going basis regarding status of requests.
- Work within the department, across the organization, and with clinical and senior leadership to meet organizational goals. Act as liaison to HITS and clinical stakeholders.
General administrative supervision is received from the Senior Director, Revenue Cycle Compliance and the Senior Director, Revenue Cycle Mid-Service. Functional oversight to be provided by project leadership.
Functional supervision shall be assigned over specific members of a project team for a specified, limited duration.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, e.g., Public Administration, Business Administration, Engineering, Information Technology, Health Sciences.
- Eight or more years of progressive management experience or project management experience.
- Familiarity with the primary EMR vendor Epic systems as well as the other diverse application requirements for UMHS.
- Proven experience in managing complex enterprise projects and/or operations.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating and maintaining deliverables such as project scope and plan, status reports, cost estimates, communication plan, presentations, risk management plan, milestone/deliverable charts.
- Demonstrated experience in managing issues, scope, and quality while bringing projects to successful completion within the cost and time requirements.
- Proficiency with desktop management software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, OneNote, and screen capture tools, e.g., Snippit, SnagIt.
- Knowledge and proficient with collaboration tools, i.e., SharePoint.
- Strategic and conceptual analytical thinking.
- Ability to analyze financial plans and budgets.
- Demonstrated expertise in working with diverse cross-functional teams.
- Extensive knowledge of project management methodology.
- Knowledge of and competency in management processes.
- Knowledge and experience utilizing continuous process improvement methodologies, Lean or Six Sigma and HRO to improve work processes and solutions.
- Ability to plan and facilitate meetings.
- Demonstrated excellent time-management skills.
- Demonstrated strong decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated initiative, adaptability, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication, and presentation skills.
- Exceptional relationship building and interpersonal skills.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Public Administration, Information Science, or highly related field.
- Experience working in Toyota Production System or similar Lean processes.
- Experience supervising IT professionals.
- Knowledge of regulatory and compliance issues, including HIPAA and HITECH.
- Experience working in an academic medical center.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the patient care process, both inpatient and outpatient. Knowledge of the University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers medical records processes.
- Knowledge of applied statistics, process analysis, and outcomes analysis.
- Experience with OnBase, Epic, Tableau and other UMHHC clinical and administrative applications.
- Some knowledge of University and departmental policies and procedures.
- Certified Project Manager (PMP) or Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM).
Remote with on-site work at clinical and administrative buildings as required
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including boosters when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely. More information on this new policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.
Job Opening ID
IT Project Senior Manager
IT Project Senior Manager
Michigan Medicine – Health Sys
Ann Arbor, MI
Exec Vp Med Affairs
MM Rev Cycle (PTO)
Posting Begin/End Date
2/25/2022 – 3/04/2022
The University of Michigan is a non-discriminatory/affirmative action employer.