Harvard University Information Technology
IT Service Manager
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to delivering service and technological solutions in support of teaching, learning, research and administration. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines – and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused, and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment, we are looking for you!
As part of a collaborative, high-energy team, the IT Service Manager will help to define, implement, communicate, and improve service management processes for the services HUIT delivers University-wide. The position will own or manage specific processes, particularly Request Management, as well as actively participating in other activities supported by the team (e.g. Change Management, Incident Management), in order to enhance the reliability and value of IT and other services. The IT Service Manager facilitates the alignment of Services with business processes and requirements, as well as their continual improvement through the promotion of best practices. In addition, this position assumes the role of project manager for various IT Service Management projects.
- Manage relationships with stakeholders within and outside of HUIT, including external consultants and peers at other institutions
- Collaborate with the team to establish and run testing, change management, and communication guidelines for ITSM and ITIL initiatives and related technologies
- Balance a high-volume of competing priorities in a 2 week sprint cycle
- Participate in the Major Incident on-call rotation (business hours and nights/weekends) and ServiceNow monthly releases/annual upgrades as needed
- Oversee project plans and schedules, manage projects and report regularly on project status
- Assist in ServiceNow project development, testing, and implementation of system changes and upgrades
- Manage incoming Incidents and Requests for support from customers, escalating as needed
- Collaborate with customers to design Structured Request workflows and fulfillment criteria using ITSM, ITIL, and ServiceNow best practices
- Assess business needs and make recommendations for improvements to business process workflows
- Participate in and document business systems analysis for integrations between Service Management technologies, e.g., ServiceNow, JIRA, SharePoint
Typical Core Duties
- Work at an expert level within a team on most phases of service analysis and consider the business implications of technology applications to the current and future business environment
- Collaborate with stakeholders to translate business/service/change management needs into systems requirements and scoping
- Define systems/service requirements, conduct gap analysis, and identify feasible alternative solutions that meet defined business/service management objectives
- Responsible for business transition management to ensure that systems are understood by users; ensure that transitioned services deliver the value users expect
- Contribute to establishment of key performance indicators and service quality measures
- Contribute to budget planning
- Contribute to the development of plans and policies for a unit/school
- Advise unit/school
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of five years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- Background in IT service management/ITIL
- Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
- ITIL v3 or v4 Foundations certification desired; ITIL intermediate (or higher) certifications strongly preferred
Interview and onboarding activity for this position may be conducted via telephone & Zoom video conferencing, based on the department’s current presence on campus.
Harvard is an on-campus community and all positions are based in Massachusetts. We currently expect that employees in Department will work remotely until Fall, 2021. Effective October 1st, as a condition of continued employment, all work must be performed in a state where Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NH, NY, RI, VT).
HUIT is currently developing hybrid workplace models which actively support remote work (within a Harvard registered state) where business and team needs allow. Any remote scheduling of your work, agreed to by your supervisor, will need to be in a state in which Harvard is registered as an employer as a condition of continued employment. Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will may discussed during the interview process.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s COVID-19 Vaccine Information webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Harvard continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff and students, as well as the wider community. Information and details can be found via Harvard’s Coronavirus Workplace Policies website: https://hr.harvard.edu/corona-virus-workplace-policies.
Please provide a cover letter with your application and upload as one document.
Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
We are unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University. Our mission is to assure Harvard’s leadership in IT. We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn and work through the effective use of information technology.
HUIT’s core values are:
IT Academy (designed for IT Staff):
HUIT’s IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team. The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here: https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging:
Harvard’s commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others and embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. Harvard aims to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that we each experience a sense of inclusion and belonging.
Harvard’s Total Rewards Program is designed to attract, retain, and reward the performance of talented employees. As a Harvard staff member, you enjoy many perks that come with working for one of the top employers in Massachusetts, including:
Flexible work environment: HUIT supports flexible work arrangements where business needs allow.
Time off: 3 – 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Harvard University Employees Credit Union: Our employees credit union provides a complete line of services for all your financial needs. https://huecu.org
Transportation: 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: A variety of programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Learn more: https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards
Harvard University IT plays an important role in supporting Harvard’s commitment by seeking to create, procure and deploy technologies that are accessible to all, including and especially those who live with disability. Harvard welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to request accommodations or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact our University Disability Resources Department.
USA – MA – Cambridge
I1758P IT Service Management Prof IV
Strategy & End User Services
00 – Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.