IT Technical Associate – CUSTOM CLASSIFICATION
The IT Technical Associate Data Analyst has responsibility for designing and developing information technology solutions to accomplish database management tasks, working primarily within the NIU Foundation’s relational database management system (RDBMS). This position provides continual comprehensive confidential data and reports for internal and external stakeholders of the NIU Foundation. This position must maintain an in-depth working knowledge of the system and the data.
Development duties often consists of expertise in every component of a major relational database management system. Collaborate with other data analysts, team members and stakeholders in matters of data management as and when desired.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
This position is responsible for the day-to-day comprehensive fundraising reports. As such, this IT position reports directly to the Director of Reporting Services and works with staff to ensure accurate data reporting and analytics. This position maintains an in-depth working knowledge of the RDBMS, and defines, develops, produces, and verifies appropriate and timely reports that serve fundraising efforts. This position designs and develops solutions to accomplish database management tasks, automates, and streamlines data inputs, appends, updates and exports using programming tools.
This position must maintain a working knowledge of Windows, SQL Server, and Crystal Reports, with a particular emphasis on SQL Server. This position will also work closely within the NIU Foundation’s other data and reporting tools, including Alumni Magnet, RNL Engage, Advizor, EverTrue, and related organizational software products. Produces all export files for external vendors such as those needed for wealth screening, phone appends, and national change of address (NCOA) updates.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
- Bachelor’s Degree Computer Science, Information Technology, OMIS or related field with major/emphasis in Database Management.
- One year demonstrated experience in database management in a major nonprofit fundraising Foundation.
- One year demonstrated experience with Microsoft T-SQL Programming, Data Reporting Software/Application and Data Visualization tools within last three years.
- One year demonstrated experience working in a Microsoft Windows environment and knowledge of database administration within last three years.
- One year demonstrated experience with advanced functionality in Microsoft Excel and Access within last three years.
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Master’s degree in computer science or related field.
2. Microsoft technical training in database management.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
1. Deep, personal commitment to diversity in all forms, the recognition of all individuals to mutual respect, and the acceptance of others without biases. Demonstrable commitment to leading by example, modeling diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the university.
2. Exemplary track record of professionalism, maturity, and discretion in the handling of confidential and highly sensitive information.
3. A high level of maturity and confidentiality.
4. Ability to manage sensitive information appropriately.
5. Ability to identify and resolve technical problems, and demonstrate practical troubleshooting and problem analysis techniques.
6. Good attention to detail and ability to show initiative.
7. Task oriented.
8. Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people in a highly professional manner, face to face, on the phone, in writing and via email.
9. The ability to maintain an effective working relationship with a diverse group of colleagues and end users.
10. Excellent organizational skills.
11. Knowledge of the systems and operations used within the areas and departments of responsibility.
12. Ability to oversee and coordinate activities of user groups.
Working Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, evenings & weekends as necessary
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly)
Hiring Rate Information
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Closing Date: 04/24/2022
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Out of state applicants must establish Illinois residency within 180 calendar days after employment start date.
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on IT Technical Associate for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage: https://www.niu.edu/advancement/
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. There is a high level of keyboarding and phone use.
The employee frequently is required to stand for long periods of time; walk; use fingers and hands to feel, grasp, operate or handle objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Must be able to lift and carry 20 lbs. regularly. Ability to work outside of normal working hours to complete tasks.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required: Yes
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.