Updated: Jun 23, 2021
Location: UC Irvine Campus
Department: OIT Student & Academic Srvcs
Job Opening ID: 20133
Reports To: Director of (SAS) (OIT)
Working Title: Manager, Athletics IT
Department: OIT Student & Academic Services
Bargaining Unit: 99
Payroll Job Code: 000530
Job Location: UCI Campus- Irvine
Percent of Time: 100%
Work Schedule: 8-5, M-F
Employee Class: Career
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is a campus-wide service organization dedicated to the strategic planning, implementation, and support of technology products and services that anticipate and meet the academic, research, and administrative needs of the UCI community. OIT offers technical leadership and services to our clients with a focus on providing innovative solutions, delivering exceptional customer service, and creating a reliable infrastructure that demonstrates value to the students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the broader community. OIT fosters collaboration, customer centricity, Inclusiveness, Learn and Grow, Quality, Respect, Transparency and Trust as its core organizational values to inspire and innovate through technological solutions.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. Under the direction of the Director of the Student and Academic Services (SAS) Division of the Office of Information Technology (OIT), the incumbent manages the Athletics IT team and all aspects of the IT operations for Athletics. The position works closely and collaboratively with all members of UCI’s Intercollegiate Athletics staff and coaches to provide technology support on mission critical applications, systems, and infrastructure in addition to overseeing the delivery of seamless, effective, and useful products and services to all the users in the Athletics organization. The role manages the Athletics IT group and resources, providing technical leadership to a team of 3 full-time and up to 8 student employees. The position serves the role of liaison with other departments on the UC Irvine campus, OIT, and other UC campuses. It ensures that IT services can respond efficiently and effectively to the needs of UCI students, coaches, and staff. This role acts as Unit Information Security Liaison between Athletics and the OIT’s Information Security Team and is responsible for following information security protocols and ensuring security of all IT infrastructure platforms, hardware systems, and applications.
Compensation Range: Commensurate with experience
Department Website: https://www.oit.uci.edu/
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of experience managing teams in an Information Technology organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience with an emphasis in computer science, data processing, computer information systems, or in a related field.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication, interaction, and consensus-building skills. Requires solid ability to communicate highly technical information in a clear, accurate, and concise manner to both technical and nontechnical personnel, verbally and in writing.
- Requires ability to coach and engage subordinates on proper communication style and diplomacy. Requires critical thinking, persuasion/negotiation, conflict resolution, mentoring and staff development, leadership/management, problem solving, human resources policies and procedures relating to management responsibilities.
- Ability to understand the process involved to adapt, integrate, and modify existing programs or vendor-supplied products for use within the technical environment.
- Experience of analyzing buy vs. build procurement for products for effective and efficient technology use.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with the software development process, including user experience, design, programming, quality assurance, testing, and implementation.
- Thorough knowledge of various technical concepts and basic operating principles of data communications, computer hardware, vendor IT products, and software in a distributed IT environment. Has solid knowledge of information systems interactions, operating models, and functions.
- General knowledge of cloud platforms, operating system internals, network protocols, filesystems, functions of hardware components including infrastructure, storage, backup, Disaster Recovery (DR), security principals, and how hardware and software components work together to form digital systems. Extensive knowledge and experience managing staff that work with heterogeneous technologies such as Mac, PC, and Unix environments.
- General knowledge or experience with safeguarding the integrity and protection of a wide variety of sensitive data such as NCAA, PCI, HIPAA and FERPA.
- Prior experience working with the type of technical architectures that support large scale enterprises and associated plans, budgets, and contracts.
- Has solid knowledge of technology management principles and concepts to provide solutions to more complex and diverse information systems issues.
- Solid knowledge of the applications programming development function.
- Solid ability to gather, organize, and analyze data in the completion of assignments.
- Knowledge of information security practices and principles across multiple domains, including systems security, cloud security, and secure software development.
- Knowledge necessary to design, set up, operate, and correct malfunctions involving technology systems. Adhere to OIT’s cultural values: Collaboration, Respect, Trust, Transparency, Quality, Inclusiveness, Customer Centricity, and Learning and Growth
- Scrum Certification (CSM) – Development practices with agile mindset or PMP Certification – Project management professional. CompTIA Security+ or CISSP Certification – Information security training. ITIL Certification – IT services framework.
- Knowledge of higher education business processes, especially those pertaining to a central IT organization and the Athletics department related to sports, venues, and games operations technology support needs.
- Experience in the management of ongoing technology infrastructure acquisition and expansion, to include the identification and integration of suitable emerging technologies.
- Knowledge of vendors, 3rd party tools, and enterprise vendor platforms that support the facilitation of Athletics programs.
- Management experience within a large IT department and experience working with matrix teams. Knowledge of conceptual database design.
Special Conditions Required:
- Some night/evening and weekend work required. Must pass a background check. Must have valid driver’s license or State ID.
Final candidate subject to background check. As a federal contractor, UC Irvine is required to use E-Verify to confirm the work status of individuals assigned to perform substantial work under certain federal contracts/subcontracts. The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. UCI provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request. For more information, please contact Human Resources at (949) 824-0500.