Otis College of Art and Design
Mobile Computing Specialist
Los Angeles, CA (Westchester)
Job Summary: The Mobile Computing Specialist
is responsible for technical configuration, implementation, and maintenance services supporting the College’s mobile computing
initiatives within the academic programs. This position provides technical leadership related to the installation, configuration, and
maintenance of IT-related systems in both administrative and academic environments to ensure the highest levels of efficiency and security.
This position serves on a team that acts as the primary liaison for all help desk inquiries either in-person, via phone, or on-line. This
position reports directly to Sr Director of Technology Infrastructure.
Essential Duties Summary
- Works in coordination with Sr Director and End User Services Manager on the mobile
computing strategic plan initiatives including identifying appropriate academic programs for increased usage of mobile technology, defining
implementation timelines, developing multifunctional lab space models, migrating to cloud-based services, and exploring areas for efficiency
in help desk system and systems deployment.
- Spearhead the BYOD program of the institution to reduce the need for traditional
- Direct the overhaul of existing lab and other classroom spaces to better support mobile technology use through
flexible layouts and to support hybrid education learning models.
- Directly supports mobile computing technology and services in
academic computer labs, multimedia classrooms, and other locations as appropriate. Installs, configures, tests, and assists users with the
implementation of new hardware, software, and applications supporting mobile technologies on campus.
- Implements technology services
supporting student and faculty owned mobile computing devices (including tablets and phones), and all other college-owned computing hardware
and software. This includes mobile printing, mobile scanning to network volumes, cloud-based apps and storage, and Wi-Fi access to online
- Works in coordination with Technology Infrastructure through the Sr Director to identify and implement Wi-Fi/wireless
services using existing and new technologies.
- Serve as the point person for upgrade of administrative and academic systems that
support mobile computing and related initiatives.
- Work with the End User Services Manager to review and enhance the help desk
ticketing system including a likely migration.
- Coordinate potential future outsource first level help desk support with the End
User Services Manager (to focus internal staff on higher level issues).
- Provides training and guidance to other technical support
staff and student workers. Plans and designs training documentation and conducts hands‐on training.
- Develops documentation for
systems and administration procedures. May write reports and/or summaries (e.g., status reports, problem reports, progress summaries, system
utilization reports) as needed. Implements and documents procedures for all supported hardware and software systems.
changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determines hardware or software requirements related to such changes. May help
develop an equitable upgrade plan in collaboration with supervisor based on maintenance recommendations.
- Recommend models to work
on College inventory, including appropriateness of buy vs lease.
- Stays informed of new developments and technologies by reading
online and print publications, maintaining contact with vendors, and participating in professional organizations, meetings, and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer information systems, or related field
is required or combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education.
- A minimum of 2-4 years of experience with systems
administration is required, preferably in a higher education environment.
- Experience working with outsourced first level help desk
support and ticketing systems preferred.
- Experience with BYOD environments for student and faculty usage ideal.
in managing inventory of computers and devices including analysis of buy vs lease.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Mac OS
X, iOS, and Android is required. Linux, VMware knowledge is preferred.
- Experience with computer and network security including
Cisco wi-fi services, firewalls, vulnerability scanning, intrusion detection/prevention, vulnerability remediation, and log monitoring is a
- Experience in systems programming and scripting is desirable.
- Experience with applications and tools including
Banner, Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, web‐based productivity applications, and open source solutions is desirable.
- Must be able to work
efficiently and cooperatively in a multitasking collaborative team environment.
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be willing to be available on‐call and perform duties outside of core
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must apply via our website at https://otis.simplehire.com/postings/1775 to be considered for the
Otis College of Art and Design is an Equal Opportunity employer, and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical disability, mental
disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic which may be specified by law or college
Otis College of Art and Design is an Equal Opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic which may be specified by law or college policy.