Newsroom Support Engineer
As Newsroom Support Engineer, you will be on the front line of interacting with news organizations using SecureDrop
You will provide technical assistance via our support portal and forums, assist with system outages, join client calls, participate in occasional on-site technical work (COVID-19 health conditions permitting), and work in close partnership with FPF’s engineering and digital security teams to escalate issues and test upcoming releases.
During times of low support activity, you will have opportunities to contribute to documentation and to get involved in day-to-day development.
We warmly welcome applicants from underrepresented communities, cultures and backgrounds, such as people of color, TLGBQIA+ folks, single parents, people from working-class backgrounds, and people with non-traditional educations.
How does this job use Python?
The web applications themselves are written in Python using the Flask microframework. The server and workstation setup also use Ansible (which is written in Python) and the admin utilities and miscellaneous components are either shell scripts or Python. Additionally, for the development of our SecureDrop Workstation (beta), the client and supporting applications (like proxy and export handlers) are all using Python.
Career paths from this role: The role provides a great starting point for deepening your expertise in software engineering, hardware testing, QA automation, security review, and technical documentation. It could make a great jumping-off point for a further career as a Software Engineer, Product Manager, or QA Engineer, including at Freedom of the Press Foundation itself. Because it works so closely with newsrooms, it may also help you to build professional connections in the journalism/media space.
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- A BA/BSc degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work or educational experience
- Experience working with Git-based version control, issue trackers, and ticketing systems
- Solid tech fundamentals: comfort working on the Linux/Unix command line, working knowledge of computer networking
- Patience, empathy, and excellent written and in-person communications skills
- Willingness to travel, especially to/within the United States, for occasional on-sites with news organizations
- 5 business hours’ time-zone overlap with US Eastern Time (candidates based in North America preferred due to travel requirements)
One or more of the following is great to have…
- Network security and troubleshooting experience, including firewall configuration
- Working knowledge of public-key cryptography (e.g., PGP, GPG)
- Familiarity with privacy and security technologies (e.g., password managers, Tor, Tails, Qubes OS)
- Experience working with journalism/media organizations
- Experience in a customer or client services role, or related experience (e.g. relationship management, managing expectations of stakeholders, etc.)
- Experience contributing to free/libre and open source software (FLOSS) projects in any capacity
Career paths to this role: If you have a passion for privacy-preserving technologies and the Internet freedom community, while still being early in your career in technology, this role may be perfect for you. If your background is in fields like IT and customer support, but you would like to broaden out beyond this, it could be an excellent fit as well.
About the Company
Freedom of the Press Foundation (FPF), a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting, defending and empowering public-interest journalism.
The SecureDrop team is fully distributed. With the stated time zone overlap and geographic preference in mind (at least 5hr overlap with Eastern timezone), all candidates will be considered for remote work with occasional travel.
This is a full-time role at a competitive non-profit salary. If it is your preference, we are open to discussing part-time arrangements. For US full-time employees: The salary range for this position is $80,000 to $100,000 per year, commensurate with experience. FPF provides health, dental and vision insurance (via Aetna); 20 days of personal time off and 13 holidays; and a 401(k) program. FPF matches your 401(k) contributions dollar for dollar, up to 4 percent of your gross salary.