The Information Security Engineering team at the University of Virginia (UVA) seeks a new Principal Information Security Engineer to join their team. The Information Security Engineering Team is responsible building/implementing and maintaining security tools and data integrations used for securing the University, as well as collaborating with Information Security staff, Information Technology Systems (ITS) staff, and stakeholders throughout the University on incident prevention and response. The chosen candidate will have broad experience and a proven track record with Information Security tools, concepts, and solution implementation. The Principal Information Security Engineer will work closely with Information Security leadership to design, implement, and maintain a broad spectrum of tools and technologies. They will mentor and support Information Security Engineers and assist as needed in Incident Response and other activities.
ITS at UVA is a phenomenal place to lead, grow, and deliver impact. ITS is an organization that values results and teamwork. We like the people we work with and the work we get to do. We strive to create a welcoming and supportive workplace where everyone feels empowered to be their authentic selves and share ideas. We embrace a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. ITS values work-life balance and provides flexible work location options where possible. Please see additional information about joining our team.
What you will do:
- Serve as Information Security Engineering Team Lead
- Conduct technical security reviews of new and existing systems.
- Identify security risks, threats and vulnerabilities of networks, systems, applications and new technology initiatives, both on-premises and in the cloud; Propose mitigations and remediation options.
- Lead the design, testing, implementation, and operation of network security tools, (e.g. Vulnerability Management, SIEM, IDS/IPS, Threat Analytics and Intelligence, etc.)
- Implement automation to reduce manual processes or introduce new tools to reduce manual workloads for incidents, audits, reviews, and other security tasks.
- Mentor coworkers on technical skills and security practices.
- Consult and assist in Incident Response.
- Light Project Management (Small internal projects)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Information Systems, Software Engineering, or related field and at least 7 years of related work experience OR equivalent combination of education, certifications, and work experience.
- Industry recognized Information Security Certifications
- Ability to communicate via written and verbal communication in both formal and casual situations
- Demonstrated initiative and success in providing Information Security services, preferably in a university setting
- Knowledge of Information Security principles, practices, and concepts.
- Experience with Firewall, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, Intrusion Detection and Vulnerability Management systems
- Knowledge of Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and Unix operating systems; a sound understanding of LDAP, Network architectures, Active Directory, and Group Policy Objects; experience with securing Cloud solutions, including Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Knowledge of TCP/IP and infrastructure related protocols
- Preference will be given to applicants with programming and scripting skills in Python
This position is open to remote work
** Applicants must be US persons (Citizen, Permanent Resident, Approved Political Asylee) **
Benefits Include: The choice between 3 different health plans; vision and dental insurance; life insurance; retirement plans; benefits savings accounts; starting with 22 days of paid time off a year in addition to 12 or more paid holidays; 8 weeks of paid parental leave; short term disability; up to $4,360 after your first year for combined use of tuition toward a degree-seeking program or up to $2,000 for professional development including classes, certification training and conferences; and more!
The selected applicant will be required to complete a background check prior to their first day of employment per university policy.
Complete an application online and attach:
1. Cover letter to include your interest in the position and your knowledge, skills, abilities, and experiences
2. Resume or CV
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “R0036598”.
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board: https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and search for “R0036598”
Review of applicants will begin June 13, 2022 and the position will remain open until filled.
***Please note that you MUST upload ALL documents into the CV/Resume box. Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration. ***
For questions about the application process, please contact Rhiannon O’Coin, Senior Academic Recruiter, email@example.com
For more information about UVA and the Charlottesville community please see www.virginia.edu/life/charlottesville and https://embarkcva.com/
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
The University of Virginia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.