Job Type: Full time
Job Number: JR-009213
Location: Home Office
you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you’re committed to working hard to play
your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher
education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of
student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from
academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students
graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Current WGU employees must submit an internal
application before 1/11/2022 to be considered.
Job Profile Summary:
Manager III will stay informed on projects within assigned team and ensure best practices are used across the functional team, mentoring and
developing project managers and associate project managers in their work. This individual manages projects from inception through completion
within their assigned department. The Project Manager III monitors and reports project status-including risks, issues affecting project
schedules, and milestone achievements-to stakeholders and departmental leadership. The individual develops project plans and schedules and
ensures projects meet departmental requirements, standards, policies, and deadlines. The Project Manager III is expected to keep fully
informed of departmental strategies and priorities and effectively influence the work of project team members in line with those
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Manages all phases of assigned projects
(i.e., initiating, planning, executing, monitoring/controlling, and closing).
- Keeps stakeholders and departmental leadership
informed of project statuses, including, but not limited to, milestone achievements, toll gate progress, risks, and any issues that may
adversely affect project schedules.
- Keeps project management records and systems accurate and up to date.
- Produces timely
and accurate reports as directed.
- Develops realistic project plans and schedules by analyzing organizational process assets,
enterprise environmental factors, task dependencies, resource requirements, work breakdown, and departmental strategy and priorities.
- Ensures projects meet organizational standards and are managed in accordance with applicable policies, processes, and procedures.
- Documents project deliverables, outputs, and notes that capture why key project decisions were made.
- Understands departmental
strategic priorities and influences the actions and work efforts of team members in line those priorities.
- Provides input to
Project Management Office (PMO) manager to develop or refine project management procedures and processes for the purpose of improving
- Provides leadership, mentorship, and training support to teams, project managers and associate project managers.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to use
project management systems and tools.
- Works to achieve operational targets with significant to major impact on
department, Function, or Office results. May be responsible for managing large projects or processes within
the department, function, or office.
- Performs work as directed with limited oversight.
Solving & Decision Making:
- Responsible for leveraging a systems-thinking approach, making moderate
to significant improvements of processes, systems, and plans within the department, Function, or Office.
- Problems and issues faced are numerous and challenging, will require detailed information gathering and
analysis. Problems typically affect multiple areas or specialties.
- Collaborates cross-functionally with employees within and outside of the department. Typically
has responsibility for communicating with parties external to the University.
- Works to influence parties
within and outside the department, Function, or Office regarding policies, procedures, and practices.
Leadership & Talent Management
- Is responsible for providing guidance, coaching,
and training to other employees in the department, Function, or Office. Responsible for managing projects
involving delegation of work and review of others’ work products.
- Demonstrates the WGU leadership principles
in all aspects of service to students, employees, and partners of WGU.
- 5+ years of experience with a bachelor’s degree,
or 3+ years and a master’s degree, or a doctorate or terminal degree without experience .
Department Specific Minimum
- Experience as the assigned project manager of executive-sponsored projects, with sole responsibility
for project initiation, planning, execution, monitoring, and closure.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification.
- May have broad knowledge of project management.
- Master’s degree
- Experience in higher education, WGU, and program development preferred.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to
15 pounds at times.
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature,
essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive
inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and
activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the
University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our
strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people.
We are committed to diversity.