Sustainability Program Manager – Yellowstone National Park – Xanterra Travel Collections
Yellowstone National Park is hiring a Sustainability Manager to help our mission of providing legendary hospitality with a softer footprint. Our goals are to reduce our environmental impact through comprehensive sustainable initiatives throughout YNP. We are looking for an environmental steward experienced with larger, multifaceted operations.
The Sustainability Program Manager will work with the Director as needed in further environmental sustainability in operational areas of; solid waste management; energy and water efficiency; pollution prevention and wast reduction; sustainable design and construction practices; hazardous materials management; environmental communication and education; environmental procurement strategies; fuel tank management; green retail; and storm water management.
More information on Yellowstone’s Environmental Program can be found at: http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/environment
- Coordinate park-wide environmental programs including review and update of programs and manuals, ISO 14001 program documentation, property inspections, employee training, and corrective and preventative action database management. Analyze for effectiveness and improve environmental projects, including sustainable operating initiatives and cost impacts.
- Work to improve property-wide waste diversion programs (recycling, compost, hazardous and universal waste) by ensuring employee compliance and reduction of contamination.
- Work with support staff and location staff on hiring, training, and ongoing logistics for Location Recycling and Risk/Sustainability Specialist staff to ensure effectiveness of program.
- Work closely with Director to ensure compliance with all NPS, state, and federal environmental statutes and regulations including: SPCC, asbestos, RCRA and hazardous waste, UST/AST, Universal Waste, lead-based paint, storm water management, hazardous materials storage, and fuel dispensing compliance. This includes providing training to staff of regulatory changes affecting operations.
- Responsible for data input, data analysis, and working with consultant to build and improve data platform and reporting.
- Improve and enhance employee and guest messaging to facilitate awareness of park-wide environmental programs.
- Develop and conduct training as needed, including new employee orientation, tailgates, and ongoing efforts.
- Oversee environmental committee (Yellowstone Environmental Stewardship Council) by facilitating regularly scheduled meetings and ensuring the team sets and achieves goals and objectives.
- Coordinate recertification or implementation of sustainable certification programs (i.e. Green Seal; Green Restaurant Association; LEED; Clean Marina).
- Research, test, and implement proactive environmental technologies and procedures not only for Yellowstone operations but also to share with other applicable Xanterra operations. Includes investigation of life cycle analysis, supply chain sustainability, and industry best practices.
- Assists with creating the departmental budget and overseeing expenditures and labor to meet budget requirements including assisting with the selection and monitoring any environmental consultants and contractors needed to achieve company goals and preparing documentation for bidding of equipment, supplies, and materials for projects in compliance with Xanterra’s policies.
- Work with the department Director, General Manager, operations departments, and the corporate Senior Director of Compliance and Stewardship to develop and implement environmental management programs.
- Conduct risk assessments to identify and quantify the exposures that threaten Xanterra Travel Collection assets and profitability.
- Assist in park-wide programs to strengthen environmental presence throughout park properties.
- Represent Xanterra via visitor and community education/engagement opportunities, local and regional events, workshops, and conferences in coordination with the Director, including through support of the Yellowstone Environmental Coordinating Committee and related stakeholder initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) with a focus in environmental, hospitality, or technically-related field; advanced degree (or current enrollment in a program) and/or commensurate professional sustainability and environmental compliance experience is preferred.
- Experience implementing an ISO 14001 certified Environmental Management System or similar program.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. The position must communicate effectively with all levels of employees to identify opportunities to minimize the environmental impacts of Xanterra’s operations.
- Past experience in collaboration and problem-solving across interdisciplinary topics and interdepartmental needs.
- Proven ability to build productive relationships by positively interacting with coworkers and clients and a spirit of innovation and creativity to foster efficiency and engagement.
- A personality and style that inspires others, encourages employees to present their ideas, and motivates a highly diverse group of people to understand what is expected and how to participate in meeting those objectives.
- Capacity to apply a high level of independent direction to prioritizing and effectively progressing responsibilities.
- Well-developed personal computer skills.
- Proven ability to build productive relationships by positively interacting with coworkers and clients.
- Ability to live in a remote, rural environment.
- Passion for national parks, public lands, and the outdoors.
Xanterra is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status.