Washington, DC, US, 20016
This position provides on-site technical support of AU faculty and staff for issues pertaining to AU-supported hardware, software, and network connectivity. Responds to requests for service, either through direct interaction with customers that have been escalated from the OIT Help Desk. Installs, troubleshoots, and maintains workstation hardware components, software applications, and network related protocols to ensure a reliable and usable computing environment is maintained in support the university’s academic and business needs. This position works under the general direction of the Technical Support Manager.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- (75% of Time) Works directly with customers on-site to analyze and resolve issues pertaining to AU-owned and supported hardware, software, and network connectivity reported by AU faculty and staff. Performs workstation setup for faculty and staff. Responds to customer requests escalated from the Help Desk. Anticipates customer needs and offers technical advice as needed. Tracks all reported service requests through the OIT Service Management System to ensure a quick and consistent response to users. Updates the work history of all service requests daily to record current status and transfer relevant information for troubleshooting. Provides VIP support as requested by the Technical Support Manager.
- (15% of Time) Completes projects as assigned by the Technical Support Manager or Director, IT Service Management in order to further the mission of the University.
- (10% of Time) Provides general technical advice, support, training, and mentoring to coworkers.
- (5% of Time) Maintains technical currency through self-study and research of new developments in the field, and participation in OIT internal training or vendor-offered training opportunities, when available.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- 40 hours/week
- Senior Coordinator/Analyst B
- This position requires flexibility in the employee’s work schedule, as extended and weekend hours, are required to support OIT’s Technology Fair at the first two weeks of each Fall semester.
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or the equivalent in training and/or experience
- Two years of hands on experience with troubleshooting hardware and software applications is required.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Professional certifications, such as A+, Net+, MCP
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated success in communicating effectively with all levels of a diverse environment, including senior management, administrative staff, IT professionals, and end-users.
- Knowledge of common desktop applications (word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, e-mail, etc.).
- Proficiency with connecting computers to wired and wireless networks.
- An understanding of computer hardware and operating systems (primarily Windows 10 and Mac OS-X).
- Ability to work in a team environment with a customer service focus.
- Must be able to lift computer equipment (up to 20 lbs.) routinely and transport using mechanical means, such as hand trucks.
- Hiring for this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University’s unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively “Protected Bases”) in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC