The Institute for Innovation in Development, Engagement, and Learning Systems (IDEALS) is an Institute within the Johns Hopkins School of Education committed to ensuring everyone has lifelong access to high-quality human service systems – especially care and education.
Our team of researchers, practitioners, and experts at the IDEALS Institute work to understand the complexities of large systems and transform their operations into actions that improve the lives of the people who depend on those systems.
We are seeking a Technology Solutions Director (Project Administrator). This full-time position will work closely with the Institute’s Executive Team in determining long-term strategies to achieve programmatic goals through technology and product development. The Technology Director will manage the Center’s Technology Solutions Department and all product development, which includes cloud-based software, third-party integrations, data-base configurations, mobile applications and websites.
They will lead an established team of 12 inclusive of software development, UI/UX, QA, requirements and product management, dev-ops, and data architecture. This team is growing, comprised of 2 direct reports, 7 indirect reports, 3 other Hopkins tech professionals and third-party contractors. This position will report to the IDEALS’ Operations Officer and is a full-time position within Johns Hopkins University, eligible for Hopkins’ generous tuition benefits for the candidate and dependents, among a full array of benefits.
This is an action-oriented team committed to doing social good, so we are seeking an individual who believes in mission before profit and who has a vision of how to harness technologies of both now and the future to achieve our collective mission of transforming human services to better serve people. We are looking for a leader who isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and dig in with the team.
Currently, all IDEALS members work remote, with a planned eventual return to some level of hybrid/individualized office posture. This position is envisioned to be onsite in our Baltimore-area office as needed and with semi-regularity, but we prioritize the right person with the right management processes and plan that ensures strong performance of the team over a hard-and-fast seat-time requirement.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with Executive leadership to ensure the product road map aligns with the strategic vision of the Executive Director.
- Coordinate with the Operations Officer in the cost modeling of new products and budgeting of ongoing operations of existing products.
- Direct responsibility for the design, development, and application of technical solutions that satisfy customer needs and accomplish the IDEALS Institute Executive Director’s vision.
- Lead a diverse team of professional technologists across functional, product, engineering, development, design, user experience, accessibility – both 508 requirements and WCAG/industry recommendations, technical operations, including management and lead levels.
- Lead compliance and guidance initiatives (accessibility, security, optimization, etc.) for the entire organization across all teams and external stakeholders.
- Utilize an agreed upon project methodology (typically Agile), train and mentor staff in that methodology.
- Oversee technical operations across all life cycles of multiple projects and products across phases: discovery, implementation, quality assurance/verification, deployment, maintenance, training, and reporting. Ensures the appropriate project management, controls and reporting to include:
- Delegating component tasks to team members and monitor progress toward completion.
- Establish IDEALS’ security policies within a comprehensive risk management framework, and ensure that security policies are followed.
- Build and maintain project plans and report on project progress to milestones.
- Maintain project archives. Configures and maintains documentation and deliverables, etc. in a central location.
- Ensure ticketing system captures and communicates the resolution to problems and issues
- Develop and implement business continuity protocols to minimize disruption to business operations in the event of emergency situations or data loss.
- Establish efficiency and efficacy standards, providing recommendations for improvement of the technology infrastructure.
- Outline models for internal audit teaming across various areas.
- Use stakeholders’ feedback to inform necessary improvements and adjustments to technology.
- Coordinate between departmental administrative and/or academic leadership or senior DEV TEAM leadership to develop and implement plans for service delivery in support of organizational operations.
- Work with and/or manage the consulting services of vendors / partners. This may also include the development of and adjustments to a project statement of work and determining vendor resource requirements.
- Research new software, products, or systems, including coordinating vendor demonstrations. (May include testing on-line applications, contacting systems administrators, and interviewing students and administrators).
- Mentor junior team members in their professional development, in particular with Agile development methodologies
- Lead development and implementation of policies and procedures that support the Institute in relation to technologies, best practices, governance, etc.
- Participate and represent the organization by sitting on various national related committees/workgroups, providing thought leadership and strategic positioning for the Institute.
- Analyze technology solutions team infrastructure and systems performance to assess operating costs, productivity levels, upgrade requirements, and other metrics and needs.
- Embrace a servant leadership philosophy that maximizes the leader’s role in removing barriers and supporting the excellence of the team, while maintaining expectations for performance and accountability that are bolstered by clearly communicated objectives, identified training for knowledge gaps, and positively reinforced recognition for achievement.
- Represent organizational technology, academic or administrative leadership, in meetings related to technology policies and procedures across the Institute and in external settings including communities of practice.
- Manage the customer relationship and satisfaction as well as adherence to service level agreements.
- Create and promote a culture of excellent customer service.
- Maintain relationships with the customer base to better understand their needs and address organizational goals.
- Establish and maintain ties with colleagues throughout the Institute to ensure optimal collaboration and coordination of effort.
- Maintain relationship with technology vendors for the department.
- Track record of building and effectively managing large and diverse teams and putting the appropriate processes and infrastructure in place to drive growth within a successful technology department.
- Demonstrable ability to be both visionary and concrete toward setting and executing on a strategy.
- “Hands-on” operating style and approach but a view towards the future and willingness to invest in people development and in developing an organization that will support a large company.
- Proven experience as a business-focused, credible leader.
- Proven experience in managing software products across conceptualization to implementation to operations and support.
- Accustomed to working in matrixed organizations, with multiple SMEs and across a combination of staff and contract dev team members/organizations in both onsite and remote settings.
- Understanding and/or hands on experience with cloud base technologies and securities.
- Experience and understanding of agile practices and methodologies.
- Understanding of accessibility standards.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- Five years related experience including project management.
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
- Master’s Degree in relevant field (Technology and/or MBA (with technology experience or certificate/certification).
- 7+ years of relevant technical experience, including 5+ years in a leadership role.
Preferred Qualifications (Certifications):
- PMP Training or Certificate (Project Management).
- AWS training or Certificate (ex. Cloud Practitioner).
- ITIL Certificate/Certification.
- Product Management Professional Certificate or Certification.
- Certified Quality Assurance (across one of various areas).
- Agile related Training, Certificate, or Certification.
- CompTIA Security+.
- Accessibility Certificate or Certification.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Possess proven written, verbal and interpersonal skills and must be able to exercise judgment with minimal supervision.
- Advanced experience with the range of supported technologies.
- Knowledge and practical experience utilizing Agile methodology, ability to lead a team of technical professionals, including personnel management and conflict resolution, high level knowledge and understanding of the Microsoft technologies, experience implementing and maintaining complex enterprise-wide systems, ability to make the decisions to lead technology professionals.
- Solid background in cloud-first environments and building cloud-native platforms in AWS.
- Record of accomplishment for leading DEV TEAM transformational initiatives in sophisticated environments.
- Success in using both standard methodologies, such as DEV TEAM service management practices based on DEV TEAMIL, as well as agile philosophies like DevOps.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-moving technology landscape and keep pace with the latest thinking and modern technologies.
- High level knowledge of all technologies within area of responsibilities.
- Ability to collaborate with peers, colleagues, and lower-level staff.
- Proven ability to prioritize work and ensure projects and workloads are completed on time while maintaining high morale.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with a variety of audiences.
- Strategically aware and able to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Record of accomplishment of collaboration with peers, colleagues, and lower-level staff.
- Proven ability to prioritize work and ensure projects and workloads are completed on time while maintaining high morale.
- Act and speak professionally in formal and extemporaneous situations.
- Demonstrated exemplary customer service skills.
- Three direct reports. Positions classified titles are Software Engineer and Project Administrator.
Classified Title: Project Administrator
Working Title: Technology Solutions Director
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday – Friday/ 8:30am – 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: IDEALS
Personnel area: School of Education
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
School of Education
Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. The university promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.