Hello and thanks for checking out Shurr Adventures Kayaking and Hiking company in Yellowstone National Park. We are a small family business seeking experienced kayaking guides that know how to perform rescues and can roll their kayak. If you have kayak guiding experience but don’t know rescue and or roll we have a level three trip leader ACA class early June that we pay for but we do prefer more experienced kayakers. We are looking for team members that is fun, safe, humble, team players, enthusiastic, self-motivated and are personable people, to lead small groups kayaking in Yellowstone National Park this upcoming Summer June 3 until August 25. As guides for over 20 years all over the country, we think this job is an opportunity of a lifetime and a great way work in an amazing location. We are the smallest and one of the busiest companies with the best kayaking gear on the water with great comfortable boats and quality gear. We truly care for our guides and try to make sure there is a great work/ life balance. This is a professional work setting and a great position for guides wanting to get away from guide drama and a huge staff.
With Shurr Adventures there is plenty of room for growth and sunshine. In the winter months, Nov. 1st to May 1st Shurr Adventures heads back to Florida to lead kayaking tours in Everglades National Park for our 16th season.
The proper candidate must have outdoor guiding experience as a kayak guide or a whitewater guide and we prefer a college degree in geography, biology, geology, or another related field. With that said if a guide applies who have been a naturalist guide before then that is great as well.
We are looking for guides who will enjoy spotting wildlife and teaching guests about the Yellowstone ecosystem in a safe and fun way. As a kayaking guide, you will be dealing with the many elements of Yellowstone Lake and this job is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced sea kayakers.
About our Company and What to Expect We are a small family company that has been around for 14 years. We started our company with a 1994 geo prism with 220,000 miles and 800 dollars in the bank. We have both been guides for around 20 years each as hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, photography and class v river rafting guides. We are looking for the right person(s) to help represent our company the way we have done for years as we continue to grow. We have the smallest group to guide ratio, which helps with customer safety, experience, and great tips for the guides. After the guides are comfortable and fully trained a lot of days it will be just you and your guests on a tour. We are in the office most days and once we feel our guides are ready to go we don’t micromanage and let our team do their thing
- Must have a First Aid certificate or receive one before you start, preference will be given to people with a Wilderness First Aid or First Responder.
- Must be able to multi-task (a.k.a answer guest questions while ensuring group safety and be able to spot wildlife).
- College Degree or a naturalist guide and sea kayaking guiding or whitewater kayak guiding experience. It’s a plus to have any of these listed degrees Biology, Ecology, Natural Sciences, Education, Outdoor Education, Geography or any other related degree.
- Must be a birder or interested in learning. (A plus if you know common Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem birds and their calls)
- Must be able to kayak for 8 hours in a day with a large break in the middle of the day and paddle around 6 to 12 miles daily when there are two trips a day.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to lift 60 to 80lbs a lot every day
- Must be able to follow directions.
- Must be organized and punctual or at least act like it in front of the guest: )
- Must have a clean driving record.
- Must be patient, kind, and customer service orientated.
- Must be able to tolerate dry heat, 32 degrees and lower, animals that want to hurt you, biting insects, whining kids, or adults : )
- Must be an outdoor adventurer who likes sharing the natural world with people.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
More than anything must be easy to work with trustworthy, be able to work without our supervision and represent the Shurr Adventures Team the way we and our incredible guides have for 14 years. Depending on experience
Kayak Pay is $135 to 150 per half day tour (3 1/2 to four hours paddle time) and $170 to 200 for a full day trip (5 hours). Plus tips. Many days are two half-day trips(morning and sunset) or a full day and then a sunset tour (half day). With the service that we provide, and our price point our guides have been very happy with their tips. Hiking tours are 150 for a half day and 225 for a fullday plus time.
There are 2 to 3 positions available so couples that can work together feel free to apply. We also invite friends or co-workers from the same company who work well together to apply as well. If you don’t have any sea kayak guiding experience yet please don’t apply, we don’t want to waste your time. The water is very cold (38 degrees on a warm day) and can become very dangerous for inexperienced guides. Must have a reliable vehicle that you can car camp in like all the other guides with other companies. The park is far from every gate entrance city so all guides camp in their vehicles in or near Yellowstone all summer. The daily drive from campsites are 35 to 45 minutes. Please do not call if you want to be considered as we are very busy in Yellowstone tight now. Thanks so much for taking the time to look at our job. We hope all this info helps show what it is like working with the Shurr’s. Thanks for taking the time to read about our company and we look forward to hearing from you. – Alli and Justin Shurr
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $270.00 – $300.00 per day
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- There is no Lodging are you willing to car camp 35 to 45 minutes drive from the put in (grant village) for the whole season.
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Work Location: One location