Job Type: Full time
Job Number: JR-010872
Location: Home Office
you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you’re committed to working hard to play
your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher
education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of
student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from
academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students
graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
*****INTERNAL POSTING UP UNTIL 5/30/2022*****
The Project Manager IV, Transformation is responsible for constructing and leading detailed project plans designed to implement important
business process transformation initiatives and strategies. The Project Manager IV uses traditional project management tools combined with
advanced transformation methodologies to successfully deliver large scale change initiatives which could potentially impact all the
colleges, students, and employees at WGU. Business Process Transformation at WGU is not complete until the hearts and minds of the users and
stakeholders are also transformed; therefore, the Project Manager IV is a leader in both the human factors of transformation as well as the
technology/process elements. The Project Manager IV works at all levels of management and at all phases of transformation. Skills in
business architecture mapping to synthesize business needs and technology needs into a target future state are just as important as the
ability to deliver a complex project on schedule, at cost, and within service level agreements. A Project Manager IV coordinates constantly
with the project leadership in our education technology team as well as the process owners in our colleges and academic practices. The
position will be directly involved in the largest and most important transformation projects at WGU.
Essential Functions and
- Responsible for planning, organizing, monitoring, and managing all phases of business transformation
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining professional working relations and communication with customers, project
sponsors, service providers, and outside contacts.
- Responsible for maintaining effective communication and coordination within
- Leadership of business architecture mapping and future state planning workshops with business process and EdTech
(Information Technology) owners to design the roadmap for transformation.
- Plans, coordinates, and delivers one or more business
transformation projects/programs across WGU.
- Secures commitments from different stakeholders to deliver the project to plan.
- Defines priorities and ensures alignment across all other transformation projects where interdependencies apply.
Builds a project/program team from different capabilities and functional areas.
- Delivers financial and quality commitments
according to the strategic plan.
- Ensures smooth deployment of process and EdTech (Information Technology) solutions in the
colleges and practices across the university.
- Reports project/program status & risk regularly to the stakeholders, users, and
- Key deliverables of each business transformation project include: standardized & optimized business processes,
training materials and documentation, role descriptions, impact assessments for implementation, transformation communication plan and
materials, EdTech solutions, data migration strategies, quality assurance plans, risk management plans, and performance metric/dashboard
- Collaborates with other professionals both inside and outside of the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed
- Consistently exhibits WGU’s Leadership Principles.
- Responds with urgency to organization needs and
exhibits excellent judgment to deliver results.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and
- Excellent leadership and project management skills.
- Works well in a team environment.
Ability to influence change and motivate others.
- Strong oral and written communications abilities.
- Solid technical and
- Ability to plan and meet schedules.
- Ability to use all related computer equipment and
- Understanding of Business Process Architecture Mapping.
Impact: – Responsible for implementing initiatives and projects established by university or department leadership; establishes operational
plans for department, function, or office with short-term impact on results. – May deliver input into new processes, standards, or plans
that impact overall university or department results.
Problem Solving & Decision Making: – Leverages a systems-thinking approach for
improving existing processes and systems within the department using significant conceptualizing, reasoning, and interpretation. – Problems
and issues faced are numerous, difficult, and require detailed information gathering and analysis. Typically affect multiple areas or
specialties. Problems and issues span a wide range of challenging and unique situations.
Communication & Influence: – Collaborates
cross-functionally with parties within and outside of the department and may occasionally communicate with external parties. – May influence
others to accept the job area’s views, practices, concepts, and approaches and conduct briefings with leaders within the University or
Leadership & Talent Management – Responsible for providing guidance, coaching, and training to other employees in the
department, Function, or Office. – Provides direction to project team members, including feedback on performance. – Demonstrates the WGU
leadership principles in all aspects of service to students, employees, and partners of WGU.
- 7+ years of related experience with a bachelor’s degree, or 4+ years and a master’s degree,
or a Doctorate or Terminal degree with 2+ years of experience.
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
A Masters or Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Quality, Computer Science/Software/Information Management, or Business Management. Education
must be from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- Minimum 7 years’ professional experience in a role that required
extensive Project/Change Management skills in a large and distributed organization (5000+ employees).
- Excellent understanding of
Change Management theory/techniques, and implementation into a project plan.
- Excellent understanding and skills in the change
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive project management & business transformation experience.
Management qualification (PMP) or equivalent.
- Professional experience in strategic planning, risk management.
Proficiency in project management software tools.
- May have broad knowledge of
- Black Belt or Master Black Best certification
- Lean Silver or Gold certification
Experience working with SalesForce software
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our
people. We are committed to diversity.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people.
We are committed to diversity.